1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15" Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spambusta, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Spambusta

Spambusta

Jan 11, 2012
    Hey all! So right now I'm playing a GK backline 600, but piece by piece I'm starting to get a new rig going. I bought an Eden WTDI to use as a preamp, and am going to be getting a 800-1000 watt @ 4 ohm (bridged most likely) power amp for clean headroom. My current cab is a GK 4x10 with Legend BP102's in it and I LOVE the sound of the cab, especially with the Eden running through it. Now, I'm looking to add a 1x15 to this and run a crossover. Trouble is I'm having a hard time finding an 8 ohm 15er in the 400-500 watt range, does anyone have any recommendations? Weight isn't an issue either just in case. :help::bassist:

editted for a typo >.>

2. Spambusta

Spambusta

Jan 11, 2012
    Wow that was quick! Is that 600w continuous? My band uses a Carvin PA system and its awesome, I completely forgot to check their site!

3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You may want to consider doing a little searching around and reading up on mis-matching cabs, assuming you are planning to run the 410 and 115 together.

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Since you love it, get another matching/identical GK410.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    He said he's going to run a crossover, so wrt running non-identical cabs in the same frequency range, he should be ok.

SB, forget about bridging. With a crossover -- and I assume you meant an active one -- you'll need two discrete channels. If it's a passive crossover you're after, good luck finding one that handles that sort of power, and even if you do find one, it'll approach the cost of what you'd pay for an active.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by adding *anything* to your rig? More highs? More lows? More volume? Just slapping fifteen into a 410 configuration, even a properly crossed-over one, will do little or nothing for you, and might even take you backwards.

I think iualum has the right idea -- as long as the drivers, too, are identical to the ones you're currently running. And then never mind the crossover.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Actually, I was trying to say just grab an identical cab to what you have now

7. Yes. Yes, it is. And sometimes you can hit their ebay site for customer returns to get a mega deal on a gently used cab. Got one of mine for $217.00

8. Spambusta

Spambusta

Jan 11, 2012
    Hmmm so i'm thinkin through this, I like my lows, I actually want more mids/highs (idk why I was thinking 1x15?) And i didnt know that about the crossover, so would each cab have it's own power amp channel? Would this be self defeating in my search for clean headroom?

9. Spambusta

Spambusta

Jan 11, 2012
    I just had another thought here, lets say I'm running a power amp putting out 800 watts at 8 ohms into my 4 bp102's. If what I have now is loud enough (my backline 600 through the 410) and all I want is massive clean headroom...is there even a point to adding another cab? I feel like i can find solutions for the high mids/highs that don't require another cab to haul around if not. I apologize if these are stupid questions, there's way more factors than i realized with bass rigs

10. That depends on how you are hooking up your stuff. Most rigs with a X-over are sending certain frequencies to different cabs. i.e. you are running sub 200hz to an 18" sub and lowmids-highs through something else, your 4-10" for instance. If you are talking running two amps, having more speakers will allow you to run a higher volume with less output from the amp. Another words, more speakers = more volume.

You can't destroy or create matter. I think someone smarter than me came up with that. But seriously.When you say massive clean headroom, don't you mean volume before the preamp stage begins to distort or break up? Clean headroom would come from a higher powered amp.

Maybe I'm missing something here... good luck.

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What size venues are/will you be playing that you need more than a 410? If you plan to run an xover then you should get a small sub? Assuming the PA does not have subs?

Read the threads here and in live sound. Lots of great info from folks with lots of experience.

12. If you're using a crossover and two cabs, there's no reason the cab for the mids and highs needs to be a bass cab.

13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    yup;

if you use a crossover, then the 4x10 becomes pointless, and a single 15 probably inadequate unless it's an actual sub cab (as opposed to a bass guitar cab).

look at the fEARful stuff; it uses a single 6" speaker for mids and highs and by all acounts crushes!

using a big ol' 4x10 just for that is worse than pointless. 4x10s are full-range, meant to carry the lows, too; in fact, they typically do so better than the 1x15 anyway.

if you like the 4x10 and want more headroom, a second identical one is the answer (or maybe ditching it for a similar 6x10 cab if dragging eight 10s around doesn't appeal).

more power instead can help, but if it's already getting a good amount, the cab will run out of room before you get the same headroom increase you would from a second matching cab.

14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    + 1

Very good advice

@ OP - I guess I'm confused about what your question is now. Your preamp into a power amp should give you PLENTY of tonal flexibility and allow you to dial in nearly anything you want that the preamp can do for you, so highs and mids shouldn't be an issue after that. With the cabs, I typically add another cab on if I need more volume, since adding another identical cab won't really change the tone that much. The cab with mid driver suggestions are very good advice, they can do waaaay more than any tweeter ever thought about doing. I play a full-range cab with no tweeter now, but a 3-way will be making its way into my collection in the future :)

15. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    If you're using the built-in crossover of the power amp, you can't run bridged as you need 2 outputs, and then you need 4 ohm cabs to get the most out of it.

You'd do a lot better just getting a true 3-way 4 ohm cab, like a fEARful 1212/6/1 (which can handle anything you throw at it), or buying a 2nd 410 and not bothering with a crossover since you like the tone of that one so much.

Who knows, maybe the single cab with the power amp gives you all the tone and volume you need without adding anything. Try that first.

16. Spambusta

Spambusta

Jan 11, 2012
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'm glad i posted before buying anything! I think I'm loud enough now, so I guess am extra cab wouldn't get me what i want. When we play small shows in our town my cab holds its own volume-wise, and when we play bigger shows closer to the city I'm going through the PA anyway.

17. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    Best 1x15 I ever played thru was the GB Uber 115. A real monster!