1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

15" sound out of a 2x10" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lordcorn, Mar 21, 2009.

1. lordcorn

lordcorn

May 12, 2008
    alright, searched and didnt exactly find an answer
    is is possible to get a comparable 15" midrange and thump out of a 2x10" cab?
    i know its kind of a long shot, but if i can tweak my settings to try to emulate it that'd be sweet
    i played through an old peavy tnt 130 at a gig a few nights ago, and it killed. not sure if its a low end amp or not, but it sounded great to me and the 15" was definitely a big part of it
    by the way im running an 08' american standard jazz into an old gallien 400rb (first model) and an ampeg portabass pb210h
    i know the tweeters and such may not be optimal, but its what i have and it'd be sweet if i didnt have to upgrade just yet

thanks in advance

2. I've yet to play a 2x10 with enough balls to actually gig with (other than light jazz in a small venue). Played many a rock gig with a single 15 though!!

3. Dr. Bass 2x10.

I would have gladly taken the Pepsi challenge with that cab. Freaking economy had me let it loose to pay the bills. :crying:

4. Never been a fan of 2-10's, but 4-10's huge fan. 1-15" over 2-10's anyday, but frankly I won't play a gig with 1-15" either, practice def with 1-15".

5. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    avatar b210 neo played plenty of gigs with it with my 5 string no problem

6. Tommy Preston

Tommy Preston

Apr 7, 2008
    Check your ohmage on the GK top...I bet it's a 4 ohm min. load.If your 2 10 cab is an 8 ohm. try to find an 8 ohm. 15 cab. Hook those up together and you are probably like what you hear.Or aquire the TNT 130.Those amps do sound good. Have had one in the past ..and have a Peavey Mark Bass top as a back up for my GK rig.I have tried to like a 2 10 configuration but to no avail. I just traded a Super Redhead.Now my main rig is a Gallien Kruger 210 on a 115..Together they sound very good . THe 115 is ok. The 210 isn't enough...
    Good luck w/ your search,All the best.
    Tommy

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    You'll probably find the midrange and thump, (well, I'm not sure about the thump part) in a 15" cab is due largely because most of them are in cabs that are much smaller than they really should be, not because they are 15 inch drivers.

If you like that tone, you ought to be able to find a deal on the newer Schroeder 15+L in the classifieds that someone just had to have and then decided it just wasn't for them.

8. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I added a 1X12 to my 2X10 (both Markbass) and I'm pretty happy with the results. I can't help but feel that a 15 - while providing great tone - isn't quite fast enough to capture everything with the right snap. Just my opinion.

9. speaker sizes dont have an inherrent sound. there are 6" midrange drivers with nothing below 400hz, and there are 6" woofers with nothing over 200hz. if you want to sound like that specific 1x15" with your specific 2x10", then maybe some eq changes would be good. if you want more of a low mid thump you could also put a series/parallel switch (S1 switch i believe) on the jazz. it can give you a nice deep sound but still with some bite.

15's are often in boxes too small, but thats the same for all speakers.

theres no such thing as difference in speed of the speaker. just a myth

10. I never fully understand these posts.

a 15" speaker doesnt have a specific sound.

There is this misconception that 15" speakers have this warm sound and are "slower" (you'll find speaker speeds are pretty constant . . .), and this misconception about 10" speakers being "faster" and snappier.

I know that sure isn't the case with my setups where my 215 has an amazing clean and crisp high end, very detailed sounding cab with a fairly even response. My 810, 410 (and 210 when i had it ) were all a bit heavier on the bass end with less response in the high end, definatley having a warmer sound.

Basically, don't look at speaker diameter to provide a specific sound, look at cabs as a whole etc etc etc

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. The sound of any cab is determined as much by how it's built as what it's built with.

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Lordcorn,
    Agree with you.
    ....I've tried some of the better 210's as stand-alones in a live band setting. Haven't found "any" manufacturers 210 that will work for me. (I'm in a loud, 6 pcs., country/rock group.)
    I have used 115+horn cabs many times as a stand alone with much success.
    The 210 is a nice "near field monitor" but it won't project and fill a stage like a 15. The 210's highs and mids are nice but it's lows fall off rapidly.
    ....As far as the 15 verse 10 speed thing. I've read all the how's and wherefore's here on T.B. of why a 15 is as fast as a 10....and I'm sorry....I hear a difference. (I'll try to word this right.) I can sit directly in front of the cab and play a FAST, multiple note run on a 15 and it will seem congested, with no individual note clarity. (Like the cone can't re-set fast enough for the next note to be reproduced.) Play that same run with 10's and the individual notes of the run are distinct and clear.
    I've been in the hunt for years for a 15 loaded cabinet that will give me a clear response on every note during a multiple note fast run like a 10, but will retain that roundness that only a 15 has.
    I prefer the over-all sound of 15's, and I'm back to using them. The "fast" 15 loaded cab I've not discovered yet....

13. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I'm like you, I like 115 cabs, and like 2x15 cabs even better, but got tired of lugging them around, in and out of clubs, up and down stairs, etc. The closest thing I have come to in a 115 is the Carvin LS1503 3-way cab. You may want to check out the thread on it. I'm also thinking of adding a 115 cab to it, so I can have my modular 2x15 cab when I need a bigger sound, although the Carvin kicks pretty good on it's own.

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Thank-you sir!
    I'll read up and check into the LS1503 cab.

15. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Look for a Bergantino HT115. They're out of production, but if you find one, grab it. Nothing better in the 115 category. It does what you want and more.

16. I'm with you here (although the tone issues you describe with the 115 are, as was posted above, due to the box tuning and driver design, not the size of the cone area IMO). I've never found a 210 that really had the thump to use on even a moderate size gig. Same thing for a 112 for the most part.

If you are looking for a 15 that matches the tone you are describing in your last two paragraphs, the new Schroeder 115L+ is simply stunning. It is really quick and fast (meaning it has a lot of mid and upper mid response), it is smaller and lighter than most Neo 112's (30 pounds!), and it comes in 4ohm version with a 400 watt Celestion Neo 115. This cab WUMPs for its size, and it has that nice (to me) tone profile of a nice tight, punchy low end and a bit of warmth and slight break-up in the upper mids when pushed.

It's the first 112 sized cab I can do a mid to even loud gig with, as long as I don't have to put a deep pillow of low end under a band. However, if you are looking for mid punch, warmth, and high articulation and perceived 'quickness' in an almost ridiculously small and light cab, this one is amazing.

Fat and deep and old school it's not though. So, buyer beware.

17. Here's a picture of it, so you can see how compact it is. For comparison, it's about 5 pounds lighter and about the same size as an Epifani112UL.

Also, as I've posted before, this isn't 'your father's small Schroeder cab' (i.e., the cabs with the baffle design that are amazingly loud but have that strong low mid hump and upper mid hole to my ear). This cab, while by definition having a high -3db roll-off given that big driver in the small box, is very even throughout its entire range. IMO and IME.

The tweeter is also very subtle and sweet versus sizzly and aggressive.

s115_1.

18. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    It's not like a 115 is an undesireable configuration; to the contrary, boatloads of 115's get sold every year. If indeed there truly was "nothing better in the 115 category", why would Bergantino drop them?:confused:

19. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I personaly think a 212 cab would be a much better replacement for a 115.
    There are plenty of 210 cabs out there that can get low enough and work for *some* gigs on there own, but for my needs a single 212 cab could easily do 98% of the shows I play.

20. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    As a matter of fact....a week or so ago I was in contact with a stocking Schroeder dealer and asked if they would contact me when they have a 115L on the floor. Want to hear one of these!
    The cab I'm using right now is along the lines of the Schroeder but with less expensive componets.
    It's a old 4 ohm, small cabinet, (23"x17"x16"), front ported Avatar 115H.
    The Avatar cab is "remarkably loud" but like the 115L it's not fat and deep.
    I can add a Aphex Bass Exciter pedal in front of my old G.K. 800 and add some old school fat and make the cab seem bigger than it is.
    Over-all I like what comes from the Avatar 115H so I'm guessing I'd love the Schroeder.