1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15" speaker bass cabinet contruction plans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbillow, Apr 6, 2006.

1. dbillow

dbillow

Mar 28, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone have experience building cabinets? I'm looking for good plans for a 15" cabinet. Any ideas? Thanks

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    SEARCH

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

over on another forum i attend regularly the plans for an ev 15 bass cab are posted.

it's the same design as the mesa/boogie diesel cabs. lemme know and i'll point you in the right direction.

4. 1x15 cab plans (enlarge to scale):
    Code:
    Front:
    ___
    |O|
    ---

Side:
    ___
    | |
    ---

Back:
    ___
    | |
    ---

Other side:
    ___
    | |
    ---

Top:
    ___
    | |
    ---

Bottom:
    ___
    | |
    ---
    :)

5. When i built mine;
    Make sure you build it at least as deep as your standard rack.
    And using WinISD will make sure you get everything else right too. Make sure ports are LESS in diameter than the speaker.
    Just for starters:)
    Good Luck,
    smo

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't bother trying to build your own if it's going to be a simple box. You can't build one for less than what you can buy one for from Avatar, because you can't buy any of the components for anywhere near what Dave can. DIY savings only come from savings on labor costs, and since the total labor time involved in building an Avatar is perhaps four hours there's not much there to save on. DIY speakers only make sense if you're going to build a more sophisticated labor intensive design, one which you couldn't afford to buy at retail just for that reason.

7. Unless you live outside the US of course - then you'd be ahead.;)

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Maybe. I've heard some real horror stories about how expensive raw drivers are down under, while other peripherals are not available at all.

9. Harley Dear is arranging drop shipping of Eminence to drivers to New Zealand. He says it takes about 6 weeks to get there, but they arrive OK.

10. dbillow

dbillow

Mar 28, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks guys for the input. I decided to go with a new Ampeg SVT15E.

11. Very true - when i imported mine, they weren't cheap.
    And getting speaker cloth or grill's is just about laughable - you just simply cannot get anything like it unless you're prepared for a bit of a drive and a half.:rolleyes:
    But saying that - I did my math and it ended up that I built a pair of 1x15" cabs, with Eminence Legend Series speakers, for less than One Ampeg SVT15E brand new.
    Perth is an expensive place to rock................

12. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    Don't you have a dick smiths or jaycar in Perth? Or even a farnells? You 'd get them online and they have cab parts, eminence drivers, various crosspver components etc.... I built several cabs when I lived in NZ and regularly bought stuff from various suppliers in NZ and OZ. Even Dick Smiths or jaycar will stock rat fur if you want to use that to wrap your boxes. I prefer textured coatings.
    Try cannon online too:

http://www.cannononline.com.au

They also stock a speaker covering paint, which I tried, nowhere as good as Duratex or Warnex but useable nonetheless.