1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15" speaker or something like Eminence vs Celestion vs EV...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Helder_Bass, Feb 12, 2019 at 6:34 AM.

1. Hello everybody.
    I´m new at TB.

Been reading several posts about what brings me here. Maybe there´s already an answer for my questions but I couldn´t find it.

I play through a Fender Rumble 500 and a Peavey Max 115 (60 watt). I use Rumble´s effects send into Peavey´s effects return and it works pretty fine. This also allows me to have a home combo (Fender) and the heavier Peavey stays at studio. At studio or live I use both. Now I want to upgrade Peavey keeping only the box/cab/ enclosure. I´m buying a Ampeg 350 Portaflex Head (350 watt @ 4 ohm) and a new speaker. Celestion, Eminence or other…
    And here is where I´m not very sure about.

Peavey Max 115 enclosure specs (the one that matters here) are:
    Tuned, ported enclosure with exclusive dual HyperVent technology
    21-1/4"W x 24-1/8"H x 13-1/8"D – external size
    Cabinet Volume (considering that the top space of the cab will not be used because of the head´s location) is something around:

0.09 m3 or 90 liter or 3,178 cu.ft

About Speakers:
    Eminence Kappa 15 C
    https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappa_15C.pdf

Or Eminence legend CA154
    http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Legend_CA154.pdf
    Any opinions here? What other options?

Thanks in advance.
    Greeting from Portugal

Attached Files:

1.jpg
      File size:
      273.6 KB
      Views:
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Personally, I'd forget the idea of modding the Peavey and buying a speaker all together and just buy a proper cab to to with the Ampeg.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    What are you trying to achieve that the Peavey isn't already doing for you?

Helder_Bass likes this.
  4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    The challenge is, because cabinets are designed around the speaker, a replacement driver isn't going to be as good a match for the cab as the original. If it were it would probably be sufficiently close to the original in sound that there was little point in changing. So instead of a mid price driver used to best advantage, you could end up with a high price driver compromised by the cab.

Given a substantial investment in test equipment you could probably mod the Peavey cab to better suit another driver, but unless you want to get into speaker cab design for the fun of it you might think there are better things to do with your time.

I'd be inclined to get a pair of nice cabs, maybe one now, one later when cash permits, and sell the Peavey as a going concern to help finance the second.

Bill Whitehurst and Helder_Bass like this.
  5. Thanks for your experienced advices! Wise guys! (And I´m not jokin´)
    Trying to answer you all in 1 post.
    - Peavey is very heavy for my back... and I would like to have more power on that box. Sometimes I use it alone (without the 2x10 Fender Rumble 500, as I´ve wrote).
    - Trying to find a proper and more powerfull 15" speaker for a vented enclosure and take off Peavey Amp mech lowering total weight (it would become a passive cab).
    - About trying to sell it... It has a very low 2nd hand value over here... less than 130/150 € (maybe usd 170)

But I understand your POV´s ... It´s not so simple that I could get a quality sounding cab... there are many thing to consider about

6. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    The Kappa 15 is a fine speaker but it will NOT make your amp lighter - it weighs 8kg by itself ! The resale value on Peavey gear seems to be a global problem - we know what you mean. It's probably better to be bitten on the resale than to spend more money on an amp that is a dead end for you. The Kappa 15 is efficient and might do fairly well in that box (especially at lower power), but for the long term it's money spent on a very imperfect strategy.

Helder_Bass likes this.
  7. I think it would become lighter because the only remainning thing from the combo would be the box and of course, a new speaker. The combo amp itself would be removed. But it agree with you all. It´s an imperfect strategy... Have to re-think...:meh::meh:

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I believe you will find that much of the weight is contained within the box itself

Helder_Bass likes this.
  9. One of Peavey's traits is that they are built to be cheap, durable and get the best performance from the low to mid tier speakers they generally use.
    Light weight was not even a design goal.
    Because they made the effort to optimize the box to get the most from the drivers they used, there is not much to be gained by changing them.
    The box itself is heavy.
    It is also strong.
    Your back will break before it does. :laugh:

We live in a time when you can get some great deals on older gear because of the weight.
    At the same time there are some amazing light weight designs out there, but they aren't cheap.
    Either your wallet or your back will end up paying the price.

Helder_Bass likes this.

10. Your back will break before it does.... that´s clear!
    Thanks for the advice!