1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15" speaker suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshua brown, Aug 6, 2012.

1. joshua brown

joshua brown

Jan 29, 2012
    Just got an unloaded Sunn 215...I will be using it with my bassman 100(1975)
    and my gk400rb(1979), both are 4 ohm heads.Trying to decided which speakers to get. So far, I'm looking at eminence C2515's......any other suggestions?

Joshua

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Being that neither of those amps is very highpowered, EV 15L's or B's, or an Emi Delta15 may be options as well. If you think you might get bigger amps someday, then stick to higher excursion speakers.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The C2515 is the 4ohm Basslite 15. You need a pair of 8ohm 15's to make a 4ohm 215.

How about budget? Other sound preferences like dark/warm/bright, etc.

4. joshua brown

joshua brown

Jan 29, 2012
    My budget is around 200 for the pair. Unless I find something that is totally worth the money. Just need this rig to sound great. As far as sound goes...As far as tone I play in a pretty heavy psyche rock band and I use alot of fuzz and reverb so need something that will suit that, but still be able to get nice round warm sounds when i'm playing with my fingers during other parts...does that any sense??

this speaker looked interesting to me:http://www.ebay.com/itm/180945881454?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

what do ya think?

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    not many good performers for under 100 bucks a pop.

that ebay speaker looks like a reconed eminence delta pro. Gooped to death around the edges to reduce cone distortion. higher thermal rating for pa use but dont do much more than a Gamma 15A2 or a Selenium 15PW6-SLF
    when used as a fullrange.
    kappa pro series driver from Eminence that does well for bass, but lacks highend.
    And the legend CB158 version is almost the same just a slightly different voice coil and cone making it better for bass.
    not very much highend above the kappa little bit.
    The gamma and selenium are low priced pa speakers too, have somewhat decent power handling for bass...kinda, but lack highend as well.

ebay price is alright alot cheaper than off the self, but goop master is going to have to find another blown speaker and recone it, to give you the same price for a matching set.

you could buy another for way more and pay shipping for goop master to work his hippo mod, but why? the legend will perform better. and is only 30 bucks more, which raises your budget.
    about 80 bucks for shipping and all, but the performance takes a better jump from low cost pa speakers.
    a speaker is what it is, hits distortion whenever it does. all kinds of secret mods like gooping the edges to reduce distortion, glue balsa strips to strengthen the cone, changing voice coil cap to softer material or some bs hemp thing , some gui**** speakers bought from china goop edges and soften the cone with laundry detergent to change the distortion characteristic(weber). its just distortion being masked.

6. joshua brown

joshua brown

Jan 29, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go with the Legend...I can't find them anywhere tho for under 129...you said you could get them for 80 including shipping?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I think he meant a pair of CB158's would run about 80 more than a pair of those ebay speakers. About 129 each is pretty standard price.

They're good bass guitar drivers, and are pretty friendly for retrofitting into various size/tunings of cabs.