Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" Speaker Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmhgreg, Nov 16, 2004.

1. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    I have an empty cab (long story) that needs a 15" speaker. The dimensions are 23.8"W x 19.5"H x 16.5"D. It is ported at the bottom with a slot that is 1.5"H and @22.25"W. It is basically copied from an Ashdown 115 Deep cab.

I have used WinISD, but aside from having to plug various speakers into that program and see what comes out, is there a database or something that would list what speakers might be good in a box this size? Thanks.

2. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Eminence has a selection guide for their replacement bass speakers at:

http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/resources02/selection.htm

You'd be looking for 5 stars in the Woofer column.

Given that the ABM 115-500 is about 5.0 CF internal volume, the Kappa Pro 15 looks like a good choice, or the Delta 15 if you want to save a few dollars and prefer a slightly warmer and smoother tone.

Nightbass

3. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    +1 on the Eminence. Don't skimp and get the Carvin, like most people do. They are that price for a reason.

4. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I am definitely going to go Eminence. The internal volume is 3.14 cubic feet according to my measurements. After playing around with WinISD, the two best matches appear to be the Legend CB15 or the Kappa Pro LF. The CB15 has a slightly flatter curve. The -3 db is about 55hz with the CB15 and 60hz with the Kappa. The Kappa looks to be louder, but the CB15 seems to match the specs of the Ashdown Blue Line a bit more, especially in terms of SPL. Both speakers are about the same $$$, and the CB15 is supposedly designed for smaller enclosures like what I have to work with. I guess I am leaning toward the CB15. There isn't a whole lot in the forum on this speaker, but what little I found sounded positive.

5. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I thought it was the ABM 115H. My bad.