Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insighted02, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Hey,

Looking at a 15" Son of Bertha speaker to go with my goliath III or my 2X10XLT eden.

Have any other suggestions? I'm using a 400w workingman's 4004 for now and later on will be doing the preamp/poweramp thing.

-Anthony

2. I use an Ampeg SVT15E cab with my Avatar B210 and I love it. The Ampeg has awesome lows and does not get muddy at all. It also sounds great on the high notes as well. It's a very efficient cab and does not need huge amounts of power to sound well, it's also compact and not too heavy.

Scott

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Peavey Black Widow....do it

-Mike

4. Just use A 4x10. 2x10, and cut the tweeter off on it, and it will produce good lows.

5. Kaz,

I've used the configuration before (4X10 & 1X15) and I loved it, but I sold the fifteen that I was using because it was a little on the worn side and I needed the money to get that very warm eden 2X10.........I play a five string and a plain rack of tens does not get the thump that a fifteen gets it. My B string doesn't get the results that it deserves :). A fifteen handles it a lot better than tens and it doesn't rattle like a ten does when I dig in. I wanted to get a better fifteen this time to use in another 4-10 1-15 combo as I've missed that thump.

P.S... OnewayPunk........you have a pretty good rig there I think....

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I noticed earlier today, there's a Bag End S15B-D for sale on BassGear.

Very serious THUMP!

I'd love to have a pair of 'em, myself.

7. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    Bag End S15-D. I like mine so much I have two.

8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    [​IMG]

Take out the 2x10 and chuck a 4x10 in there and id be hapy :D Nice right as is though ;)

For a decent 1x15 id say peavey, but if you liked the last 1x15 you had try and find out a bit more about that company ;)

9. Thanks for the compliments on the rig, I love it so far.
    The only reason I didn't get a 4x10 is that I didn't want to have to haul it around.
    The rig will get seriously loud as it stands now.

I think I'm gonna replace the SVT 350H with an SVT3Pro though. I like the tube preamp sound of the 3Pro.

10. chardin,

I noticed on the spec page that the S15-D has a frequency response only from 50-4kHz

How does it handle the deeper registers, how bad is the cut off? I need something to handle my B string without losing volume.

-Anthony

11. Whoa, man TWO?!

That would be INSANE!

Well, I have one right now, and two of them might be two much for me to handle (just one of them is tough enough to lug around). Maybe a S15 CUS instead?

Good Luck

Sean

12. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I tried a bunch of 1X15's and went with the SWR because it was the loudest I tried. It goes low and stays clear with lots of volume. I didn't try an Eden, though. The SVT 1X15 (the expensive one) is good, too. I like using the 15" for rock and blues and I've used it with both my Goliath III 4X10 and Goliath Jr. 2X10, poweered by either my '89 SVT II or my Eden WT-400. The 2X10 and the 1X15 seem to balance really well as far as attack and slam coupled with rumble and bottom. But I usually just use the Eden and the 4X10 and they sound really nice together. I don't know if that helps you in any way. Hope so.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    One with the port plugged and one port unplugged,
    get a D10X-D and a QSC PL230A (setup to biamp),
    a preamp with enormous booty like a Kern IP-777:
    run the two S15B-D's on the low chnl.,
    X-over at about 100Hz to the D10X-D on the high chnl. (900Wpc).
    Get a Dingwall Z2 5 sting de-tuned to ADGCF.

And the walls came tumbling down...

Oh, Mama! I'd be in lo-freq heaven!

14. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    I own a SWE Son of Bertha, and I use it as a stand-alone as well as combined with a Goliath III Jr.
    Very nice cab: Clear, Smooth, growls!

Johannes

PS: Just like the Goliath JR., it takes a good deal of power: I'm pushing 700 watts through that single cab, and it doesn't break a sweat!

15. Exactly what I had in mine: One with port on, one with the port off for lows, and then add a d10Bx-d for highs. But I still wouldn't get two, unless you don't mind carry all that weight around. And good luck fitting all that in your car 'cuz I can't even fit one of them! It's one "big mutha'" indeed!

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Check with Brad Johnson. He uses an S15-D (forget if it has the tweeter or not) together with a Nahas 1x12 (similar design to the S15-D), he plays a bunch of 5 string basses and he says it does fine.

17. Insighted02-

If you really want to bring out that low B you might want to step into the pre/power world with some kilowatts (1000 watts or more) and get one of these (look at the Low B-4)-

http://www.acmebass.com/

I run a Peavey DPC 1400X (bridged) into mine and it's got more booty then my previous bi-amp set-up with two 10's and an 18''. Very "clean" and "un-colored" tone, but I can dial in ANY sound I want rather then having to make up for deficiencies in my speakers with EQ. The bottom end coming from the little 78lb wonder is friggin' HUGE (and that's with my EQ running flat)!!! Might be something you'd want to check into.

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hi Anthony,
    I've been using an older black carpeted S15-D with all of my fives and sixes for a while now and I've been perfectly happy with it. I have some pretty serious low B-equipped basses and the BE lets the character of each one shine through, not making them sound generic like a lot of other cabs.

I always use it in conjunction with a small Nahas 1-12 and it's a perfect match IMO, a real complement to each other. I've been in a few discussions here with the experts who try to tell me that it shouldn't work as well as it seems to. It does. It's also very efficient.

In my case I think the key is I'm using two cabs... the BE really brings in the lows and mids, the Nahas adds in it's own lows, mids and highs (it has a tweeter, the BE doesn't). I also like the sound of the BE alone. Another nice combo is the S15-D used with the small BE 15 coax.

Hope that helps.

BTW I push two cabs with my AMP BH-420 which is rated at 400w into 4 ohms and it barely breaks a sweat on gigs. I just bought an older GK 800RB recently (really cheap;)) and if the way it pushes my Euphonic Audio VL-110s is any indication it should crank the heck out of my Nahas cabs which are a lot more efficient.

BTW 2. My entire rig (amp, two cabs) is about 98 lbs.