Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15" speakers in a rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neenishtart, Feb 27, 2002.

1. neenishtart

neenishtart

Feb 14, 2002
    Australia
    I've been using a quadbox and thought I might change to smaller cabs, like two 15" ones.
    Is that all i will need to replace a quad?
    I've never played through anything but a quad so i was needing help with the setup and stuff of smaller cabs. I just want to be able to carry my rig more easily! will 2 15" cabs give me the same volume/tone?
    also has anyone had experience with Genz Benz 15"s?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    do you like your tone right now?

if so - get 2 2x10's!

2x15's will probably be the same or louder than your 4x10, but it definitely won't sound the same. 2 2x10's will be alot closer.

jason

3. neenishtart

neenishtart

Feb 14, 2002
    Australia
    I bet you're the most logical member of your band!!

ta,
    liz.

4. My experience with most 15" is they are stuffed into too-small boxes, and this cuts the bottom end off. Many bassists don't like the sound of 15's either, often citing them as muddy or "slow". This is a particular complaint with vented boxes tuned at the lowest note. Listen long and well before you buy.

I understand the too-much-too-large thing very well. My pair of 1x15" sub could be squeezed down into 20" cubes if I was a 4-string player. I could run them as sealed boxes and have very tight bass down to low E, but very little below that. They are currently 20x20x31" each. My situation is unique because I use true subs and not 15" commercial cabs.

For size purposes, I'd rather have two 2x10 instead of one 4x10. More cabs is more flexibility where you can bring just one to a small gig, or both to a large one.