1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

15 vs 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davetsbass, Apr 23, 2001.

1. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    I right now have a 15 in a combo. I give off a hell of a lot of rumble. I'm wondering if I should buy an 18 and use that instead of a 15? Ive never played on an 18 and i dont know how much of a differenc eit it

2. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Let's make a deal... Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I'd like to know to...I'd like to think that a 15" gives as much punch as necessary.... Also, Dave Schools of widespread panic plays 2 eden 4x10's, on top of 2 1x18's(he calls it "The Detonator").... He said its "basically a kickdrum, and his 5 lowest notes"(in a interview) Im guessing he means that its more for lows and gives off alot of "thump" as opposed to really tight tone. (Also, he uses a 6 string right now, so take that into consideration. His 5 lowest notes are real low)
    Peace
    Graham

3. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    If you give off a lot of rumble with a 15", an 18" will trigger an earthquake in your area. It depends on what you want.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats the same speaker configuration i use and i love it.

Mike

5. i have an 18" in a combo cab.
    its a ampeg PR1832HE. it comes with 2x6,2x10,& a 1x18. lemme tell ya, this thing can rumble. its punchy but drowns out the smaller speakers. if you have a 5 string then an 18 will really cover the low notes.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If rumble is your problem, an 18 will only make it worse. Try 2 10's or 4 10's for more punch and less rumble.

7. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    I have a 2x10 and I want to get rid of my combo so I was thinking whether or not to buy a 15 or an 18. Like is there any advantage to 18's? I already have everything I need I just want to know which is better, or if a 15 is good enough