15 vs 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davetsbass, Apr 23, 2001.

1. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    I right now have a 15 in a combo. I give off a hell of a lot of rumble. I'm wondering if I should buy an 18 and use that instead of a 15? Ive never played on an 18 and i dont know how much of a differenc eit it
  2. I'd like to know to...I'd like to think that a 15" gives as much punch as necessary.... Also, Dave Schools of widespread panic plays 2 eden 4x10's, on top of 2 1x18's(he calls it "The Detonator").... He said its "basically a kickdrum, and his 5 lowest notes"(in a interview) Im guessing he means that its more for lows and gives off alot of "thump" as opposed to really tight tone. (Also, he uses a 6 string right now, so take that into consideration. His 5 lowest notes are real low)
  3. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    If you give off a lot of rumble with a 15", an 18" will trigger an earthquake in your area. It depends on what you want.
  4. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats the same speaker configuration i use and i love it.

5. i have an 18" in a combo cab.
    its a ampeg PR1832HE. it comes with 2x6,2x10,& a 1x18. lemme tell ya, this thing can rumble. its punchy but drowns out the smaller speakers. if you have a 5 string then an 18 will really cover the low notes.
  6. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If rumble is your problem, an 18 will only make it worse. Try 2 10's or 4 10's for more punch and less rumble.
  7. davetsbass

davetsbass Guest

Mar 24, 2001
    burnt hills NY
    I have a 2x10 and I want to get rid of my combo so I was thinking whether or not to buy a 15 or an 18. Like is there any advantage to 18's? I already have everything I need I just want to know which is better, or if a 15 is good enough