Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

150 watts? 550 watts? Power amp broken?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iplaybass, May 22, 2002.

1. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Alright... got a serious issue here. I recently bought a 2x12 and am using it with my SWR SM-400S. The cab is 4 ohms. I was using my amp with a 4 ohm 2x10, using one side of the amp... which should produce 150 watts. When I got my new 2x12, I used the bridged output... which is supposed to deliver 550watts into 4 ohms. I cannot tell any difference between the two... even when switching from using one side to using the bridged output. I'm starting to think something is seriously wrong with my bridged output. Oh, the 2x10 is a 4ohm Nemesis rated for 225 watts, and the 2x12 is a 4 ohm SWR Bigfoot 2x12 rated for I think 500 or 550 watts.

2. Unless I'm mistaken, the 400S put out 250 watts per channel not 150. So you were actually running the 2x10 cab at 250. The reason your 2x12 cab is no louder at 550 watts than your 2x10 cab was at 250 watts is because of the difference in the efficiency of the cabs. The Nemesis has an SPL rating of 100db while the SWR Bigfoot has an SPL rating of 95db. Yes, 5db makes that much difference. The SWR cab takes more power to be as loud as the Nemesis.

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'm saying that there is no discernable difference between bridged and mono mode. That is on the same cabinet. Oh, and you are right, I pulled out my red book and 4 ohm output is 250 watts.

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Oh, one other odd thing... the transient when the amp is first turned on is much louder in mono mode than bridged mode... anyone else notice this?