Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

150 watts amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zweebee, Oct 14, 2000.

1. zweebee

zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    Hey guys
    My Hartke B30 isn't noisy enough when i play with a drummer
    I'm gonna buy a new amp. It's gonna be something like 150 Watts but i really dont know which...
    I saw the Peavey TNT115 BW,it's cheap and has many functions
    The Ampeg B3 was also cool
    but whats the best...
    And lets not forget Mesa/Boogie and the other amps...
    And whats best? A lamp- or tube?

2. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    How much can you spend?

3. zweebee

zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    500-700$

4. Trace Elliot gp 715 for 150 watts, gp7215 for 300 watts.. same amp different output.

5. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    If you dont mind buying used theres a SWR Basic Black listed at BNW for 499.These are excellent amps and you can trust the folks at BNW.Also Ampeg has some very nice combos in that price range.Good luck!

6. zweebee

zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    OK
    But what about the extra's
    the Peavey has lot of extra's like Hi and Lo Gain input and control, Chorus and that stuff
    The Ampeg has ...nothing

7. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ampeg has...nothing?Hardly!The BA-115/112 has a 5 position "style" switch which gives a nice variety of tones alone.Theres inputs for both pas/active basses.XLR out,cd jack,headphone jack.Compared to some it has a simpler eq but thats fine.It sounds great with what it does have!As far as effects go your much better off buying what you want/need separatly.Personaly i dont have much use for them anyway.Good luck!

8. zweebee

zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    Oh, thanks

But what about the B3 and the Bi-Amp (forgot the name)???
    And the Trace Elliot 715?

9. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Sorry,ive not had a chance to try them.In my rural area things trickle in s-l-o-w-l-y.Good luck!

10. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IMO, the chorus on the Peavey TNT is horrible, and I own a TNT - When I want chorus with that amp, I use a boss stompbox. The Peavey TNT amp is a good solid workhorse, but its bells and whistles aren't as good as its construction and reliability.

11. ~FP~

~FP~

Sep 10, 2000
    As the topic is '150 watts amp', has anybody tried the new
    TraceElliot Commando 15" 150w Combo?

Thanks,
    Frank

12. zweebee

zweebee

Sep 15, 2000
    So actually, the extra's on the Amp aren't that needed. It's better to buy a stompbox
    And then just the sound, whats best, Peavey, Ampeg or Trace???
    And is there a 150 watts mesa boogie?

13. Its just a matter of opinion. Listen to the amps mentioned. I have tried Commando, too weak for me, but I play LOUD. There is a Mesa called buster but its @200w. I havent tried the Buster, but I love my 400+.

Anyway try before you buy.