150 Watts...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Dec 7, 2002.

1. Hi, I'm a begginer bass player and I was wondering how far I can get with 150W and a 15-inch speaker!

Any advice?
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    If it's a Peavey Black-Widow 15, they make a lot of sound with 150w; plenty of medium sized clubs.

There are lots of other 15's that make a lot less volume for a watt, but it's still enough for a band practice if the guitar players behave.

I always started by showing them how loud my bass was going to be, and told them I wasn't turning up anymore and damaging my speakers. If they want to hear it, they will adapt. If you lean it back so it's pointing at your head from about 10' back, you can easily hear it; whether they can hear it is up to them. It's even better if you shoot it in from the side so the drummer gets washed by it after it passes you.
  3. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    My experience is that 150 would be enough for a small rehearsal space, with drums, vocals, and 1 guitar.

Also depends on the music you play and how loud the drummer hits 'em.

If you can add an extension cabinet or the combo has a direct XLR output so you can go direct to a PA, you might be able to gig with it. Otherwise, you'll need more power (i.g. 350).

good luck

4. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    i bought a carvin FET400 power amp, and a 2x15 cab...my punk band is me, a guitarist playing through a 140 amp (running at about 50-60% volume) and a drummer. We all sing, and have a 200 watt PA. when we play cafeterias, gymnasiums, and small halls (we're still in high school), i use ONE SIDE OF THE POWER AMP for about 200 Watts. I have to crank it, but i use a BBE sonic maximizer for a louder appearance and a better overall sound. If we were to add another guitarist, increase the wattage of the pa, or start micing the drum set, i'd definitely have to bridge the power amp for a full 400 watts.
  5. Why don't you just use the full 400W's now anyway? It'll give you more headroom and you won't have to push the amp as hard.
  6. It really depends on what type of music you are playing and at what volume. I played for 20 yrs using a Sunn 60 watt 200S with a 2x15 cab. :D
  7. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    i use only one side because...
    a) i like the sound of a cranked amp with a sonic maximizer...
    b) we use channel 2 for our subwoofer.
    it really all works out well. 200 watts seems to suit us well, and given the fact that we like to mix things bass heavy, and with only 200 watts on my current setup i can turn down and not have any objections, doubling the bass power to 400 watts would be overkill.