1500$ and under

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akajuve400g, Jul 15, 2002.

1. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Well....I have been able to get some money together and I just wanted to know what would be a good bass to get for 1500 or under. I am going to a guitar center in about a month and I just want to know what basses I should especially look for. It doesn't matter whether it is four or five strings cause I am still not sure if I want another 5 string or not..... Thanx
  2. which ever one you like best.....simple as that! :)

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Get which ever Fender you like best.
  4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    If you're looking at spending $1500 on a bass, I certainly would not limit myself to what you'll find at Guitar Center! This is a major investment, so you really want to be aware of all your options. Check out the online bass shops, like Bass Central and Bass Northwest--both of whom have a good return policy if you wind up getting something that turns out not to be right for you. Heck, if you're willing to consider used stuff, you can get pretty much anything from Modulus to Zon to Lakland to Wal to neck-through Warwicks for $1500 and under.

6. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You could get a heavily optioned Carvin for $1500. Or two basic ones, and still have money left over.

As much as I hate to pimp for Korean-made instruments, the Lakland Skylines are pretty nice. The 55-02 can be had for around $1K if you shop around, dude.
  7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Check out the MTD Saratoga - soon to be released (Korean made with all American Parts). I know there are also some MTD Grendels around Czech made with all American Parts

8. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    If I were you, I would get a better amp.
  9. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Guitar Center unfortunately doesn't sell them,but the Lakland Skylines are definitely a lot of bass for the money,as are the MTD Kingstons (also not to be found at GC).The Yamaha TRBs are excellent as well (some GCs have these.)
  10. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I definitely want to play the bass before I buy it. I might just play the bass at gc and if I can get a better deal I would just get it from bassnw or some other online place. I am not too sure about used basses, I know for 1500 I could probably get a much better bass....but then again I don't know what it has previously gone through.
  11. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    You could get a Ric 4003 for that price and have enough change for a new strap.
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Modulus Flea 4 and 5,, modulus Jazz,, MM sterling and stingray,, Lakland skylines,, fenders,, heck anything!! Used F bass,, Elrick,, maybe MTD,, try as many basses as you can! Thats what i would do.