1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1500 compared to 2000

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Youngspanion, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Does neck pick up on the L2k, reside in the same spot on the
    L-1500?

2. I kind of thought the 1500 pup was somewhere between the bridge and neck pups on a 2000. I am sure a guru will be along shortly with definitive answers for you!

(I love G&L gurus, they've got so much knowledge in their swami-ish heads)

3. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Spideyjg has a picture of about a dozen basses and it looks like the Pups are in the same spot. I just noticed it. But the electronics are different too I'm sure. But what can the L-1500 do that the l2k can't?

4. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    IMHO...... Testing for 20 minutes at Buffalo Brothers.....

I got an Ashdown 2X10 and set it flat then hauled in the L1500 with a rosewood board, a L2K r/w board, and an SB-2 r/w board. All were strung from the factory so pretty good A/B scenario.

Bottom end: It has been said the 1500 doesn't have a lot of bottom end. Certainly the 1500 doesn't have the thunderous bottom of the 2K but in series, it certainly can be adequate in series. It was closest to the SB-2 with both pickups full on for the low end thump factor. Maybe a bit more thump but in parallel the SB-2 had more. The low end is fine. It only lags behind the monstrous low end of the L2K though.
    It is not a criticism, just a baseline of comparison. I don't think there is a bass out there that has more bottom end than an L2K/L1K neck in series. Not unless it has onboard active EQ.

Aggressiveness: Oh yeah this thing ain't subtle. I don't think it could be tamed down but if you want bite you got bite. Similar to the bridge only of the 2K but with more bottom and just more oomf to it.

Overall sound: If you can imagine a hybrid between 2K bridge only and 2K with both pups but minus the "burp". Best thing I can think to describe it. It is it's own little beast for sure. Pretty much a one trick pony like the SB-2 is. Now before you throw rocks, you know the SB-2 doesn't vary much and the 1500 with the tone controls varies more yet it has this core aggressivness that doesn't fade with the tone controls.

I liked it. So I may be trying to score the Climax I located.

The one dislike/adjustment is that the pickup is right in between the bridge and neck of a 2K so since I often pluck there it feels weird and I had to move forward the not thump the pickup with my fingers.

They were all #8 or #6 necks and I liked 'em. They were pretty chunky, kind of a C shape and not the really thin feel like a Fender Jazz. I've gone over to the #6, #8 neck camp. My older basses are the 1-5/8 so I have adapted to the thinner necks.

Jim

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree with Spideyjg's review. I noticed the "core aggressiveness" right away, and decided to get an L-1500 instead of, say, a P-bass with Quarter Pounder for a hard-hitting, slightly modern sound. It's a tone the L-2000 can't duplicate due to the different pickup spacing, and the L-1500 has a different preamp too (more noisy according to some in the know). The low end is solid and punchy more than fat and boomy, and has lots of growl. It has more low end than I expected given the pickup's location.

6. ustabawannab

ustabawannab Caesar's palace, morning glory, silly human race. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Greenfield, WI.
    Does an L-1500 sound closer to a Musicman single pickup setup?

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Closer yes, but very different. The Ray's alnico and active EQ take it a different direction.

Jim

8. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    It has some of that vibe, but to my ears the L-1500 has a more raw, less modern sound than the Sting Ray, especially in passive mode, but this is true even in active mode. The 'Ray has more active "sheen" than the L-1500. Even though it's a later design, the L-1500 sounds more Fender to me, almost like a hot, growly P-bass pickup moved toward the bridge.

Edit: I should add that my L-1500 arrived on Friday, several weeks ahead of schedule. I'll be picking it up tomorrow, and using it at rehearsal tomorrow night, so I'll have more to report soon.

9. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY

What was the schedule?

10. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I placed my order on March 3, and at the time was told that G&L's standard time was 8-10 weeks. I followed up a couple of weeks later, and was told it would be 12-14 weeks, but it ended up being 8 weeks to the day.

Maybe I placed my order at a good time during G&L's build cycle. I know Major Metal had to wait about 12 weeks for his, and I also know that the store that mistakenly ordered one on my behalf received it the day before mine arrived, even though it probably placed the order about a week earlier.

11. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Just got back from rehearsal with my new L-1500, and even through the questionable rig in the rehearsal studio, it sounded fantastic. I'm too tired to write a review at this hour, but I'll try to post a pic for a preview:

Attached Files:

12. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    G&L builds instruments in runs by model. Most of the time I get my store orders in about 8 weeks. If you order something at just the right time, it can be as little as 3 weeks (rare, but it has happened a few times). If you order an instrument they don't make many of at the wrong time, it can sometimes take a few months. Sounds like your order went in at the right time because theydon't build a lot of L1500s.

13. Wow, Electric Blue.

There's a G&L color you don't see often. When seen tho, ya understand how it got the moniker. Absolutely dazzling.

Congrats on a jewel of a bass.

14. Nedmundo

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Thanks! It definitely rocks. :bassist:

15. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Nice color combination. I dig blue and I dig maple.

If you are a tweaker, it is possible to replace the 2-way mode select with a three way and get a single coil along with series / parllel . I have a Climax that I will eventually do that too.

On my Climax the preamp was done differently than the L2K preamp. They changed one resistor value that gave the thing like 15dB of treble boost with preamp engaged rather than the 6dB of treble boost typical of a L2K in normal active mode. I swapped out the resistor on the PCB. I do plan to also replace that two way switch with a three way that will get the three modes of a L2K preamp (passive, active (about 6dB of treble boost), active with trebel boost (about 10dB).

Dave