Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$1500 for 36 fret Conklin 7 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akuma12, Aug 25, 2003.

1. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I just got to realize a dream today by finally getting to play a Conklin 7 string at Hauer Music in Dayton, OH. Came back to work to look it up online, and it didn't look like a Groove Tool or a New Century. It had 36 frets *boggle*, a single soapbar pickup, and 2 control knobs, one of which was a doubled up knob (can't remember what those are officially called). If it's a custom, isn't that really cheap for one? I was so tempted to buy it then and there, but then I realized I wouldn't have rent money ;) Just thought I'd share my story. Oh yeah, and first post ;)

Akuma12
    (Jim)

edit: New info!

I got more information on this awesome instrument (gave me an excuse to go play with it again )

It's a custom 7 string, 36 fret, ash body bass, with 5 piece purpleheart/something else neck. Neckthrough, also. Handrubbed oil, 1 bartolini pickup, only 2 control knobs (looks exactly like the dark bass a few posts up). It is used, 3 years old, but I saw NO physical defects. $1500, plus they throw in a very heavy duty flight case. I believe it has new strings, as it had a somewhat twangy sound of strings that hadn't been broken in. One word of warning...the neck at the nut is probably 2.75 inches wide...rather large, but the string spacing is great. Very comfortable to play in the right hand. DEFINITELY worth the cash, I think. Like I said, if I had the money I'd buy it in a heartbeat, even though I'm not all about the 36 fret neck. Have fun!
    (BTW, to anyone reading this, I'm not affiliated with Hauer, just wanted to share this with the community. In fact, if you feel like giving me $1500 to buy it, I'll be your best friend forever!)

Jim

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Your last name wouldn't be "Hauer" would it??

;)

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    a gush of wind...and SLAM !;)

4. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I don't see it anywhere on the site.

5. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Lol no, no advertisement. Just hoping to see if anyone else was familiar with the area. Besides...I want it ;) But seriously, I am curious as to what this particular bass might be, be it a New Century or a Custom.

6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From the description it sounds like a custom.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

So where is it on the site? You said you checked it out online but I didn't see it.

8. same here!
    don't be a tease.....PLEASE!

9. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Oh, not on Hauer's site....I don't think they've updated it since 1995 or something....I was looking on www.conklinguitars.com to find a picture to compare it to. If I remember correctly it had a 5 piece neck, maple and some red wood (sorry! I've been out of touch with basses for a long time), hand rubbed oil finish...not sure what type of wood was on the top, but it had some knot looking swirls in it. Very pretty, looked brand new. So tempting, but I think my hands are a little too small for a 7 string bass.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    maybe something like this (except not black):

[​IMG]

or maybe this:

[​IMG]

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I wish they had pictures up. Jim do you know if they can get pictures to interested people?

12. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Looked exactly like that top one, only with a different top. Pickup and knobs were the same. Has to be a custom, because 36 frets doesn't seem to be an option for the Groove Tools or New Centuries. Makes me want it even more...if only...if only :)

13. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    Well since no one else said it I will.....

WELCOME TO TALKBASS!

14. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    You can probably call them, and they might be able to send info. Their number is on their site... www.hauermusic.com. It's about the only current thing on that site ;) If someone from here does buy it, tell em I sent you and that I should get commission *grins*

Jim

edit: Thanks dragonbass!!

15. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Didnt mean to be rude.... First posts advertising gear for sale normally throw up "SPAM" flags.

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmmm. what does it say on the back of the headstock?

welcome to tb, by the way.

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    (Gard gets his JT stop watch out and starts it...)

....wonder how long before our resident Conklinator is on the phone trying to snag this one! ;)

:D

...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...

(DAMN! I just hit post, and look who posted before I could! :D)

18. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Not if I get to it first!!

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...whoops!!

Hey Jim, welcome to TB!

(Gard wipes "I'm a rude bastid" egg off face)

OOOHHHH....

JT vs. Progzilla in a steel-cage Conklinator match!!!!

Let's get ready to ruuuuuuummmmmble!!!!!!

I got the pay-per-view rights!!! ;)

20. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey I might go for it too. Punk.

;)