$1500 - How to spend?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I am looking to upgrade my rig and will have about $1500 to spend. I play rock/blues and in a church band - I have a 200W Nemesis 4X10, but want something a bit more powerful and with better overall tone. I am considering the following:

Eden WT-400 with (2) Aguilar GS112s

Used WT800 or Mesa Boogie 400+ with Avatar 4X10

Sansamp RBI, World 1.6 poweramp with Avatar 4X10

What do you think?
  2. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yeah dude if i had that money i would get a sansamp RBI, a poweramp(>400watts) an SWR Pro series 210 and 115. Thats what i would do:D
  3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I like option #2 or #3...but i like 10s...
  4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Heads you need to consider are the GK 1001RB(recently bumped up to 700 watts), The EBS HD350(good enough for Marcus Miller), and the Mesa Boogie WalkAbout. The WalkAbout is VERY conservatively rated at 300 watts, but seems much more powerful than the WT400 and I prefer the tone, especially for the type music you said you're playing. I'm not a fan of big rack setups. Remember, you are the one that probably has to lift it when it comes time to move it around. The Avatar offers a lot of bang for the buck, but remember that your speakers are probably the most important item in your chain of tone, so going with a higher end cab may be worth the investment. If you do go with a 4x10" get a 4 ohm version if available so you will get max power from your amp. Two 1x12" cabs gives you the option of using one cab for small venues and practice or using the second cab when needed. The most popular 12 cabs seem to be the Euphonic Audio(I have one of these for sale) and Bergantino cabs, although the Aguilars are good also. Bottom line, you need to do some research and go listen to or play through as many as possible if you can. $1500 can buy you a nice setup, especially if you go the used route. Our recommendations may help point you in the right direction but you are the one that needs to be happy with it.
  5. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Option #2 but go with a used Goliath III or 410XLT instead of the Avatar. You've got $1500 so you'll still have some change for a rack.
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    buy used and be able to get better quality for the money. i got my rig for abotu 700 total. 550 watt head and a 4x10. whata bargin! lol
  7. prostitutes. I think the Eden WT800 and a cab would be awesome, but i haven't played any of the above - so just get out there and play some stuff. Also, call soem local bass players and see if they have anyg ear to sell, i did and i'm getting a rig that was originially way out of my price range
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Check the Eden site. There are some WT800's out there due to people upgrading to the WT1205 that just came out. You can get one of those used with a 41XLT used for about what your looking to spend.
    I have a WT1205 and 410XLT and love it.
    I didn't see GK on you list, I don't know why when anyone wants Eden or Ampeg people pop up and tell you what you really want is a GK. Nothing wrong with GK, just not EVERYBODY wants them.
  9. Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

i think 150 bucks for a used avatar 115 cab, 100 bucks for a used PV head, 250 donated to the church you play at, and the other 1000 into my pocket- to keep tellin you how good you sound!

10. seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    I'd suggest a used WT800 and a used Bergantino HT322
  11. Ampeg SVT 410HLF is always a good choice.
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    right now bass central has a used eden metro for 999.00 and a d-115xl for 325.00...i used the same rig for years and it was awesome...the only reason i don't have it now is i was able to get rid of the metro for a d-410xlt and a navigator/poweramp rig with the 115xlt...you're already into eden...why not stay?
  13. jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I would go with the mesa head, and a mesa cab as well! You have to go with what you like and if the avatar is then then go for it. Personally I love Mesa cabs, moreso than their heads. Just my opinion though.
  14. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Personally i like the Eden Nemesis line. You could possibly sell the one you have, and upgrade to the 320watt version, and then add an extension cab of your choice. Thats what i recently upgraded to. Found a very nice deal on a new Nemesis 4x10" combo, and then bought then Nemesis 4x10" cabinet, again at a very good deal that was new. I find the sound the be quite improved with the extra cab beneath the combo, and also it to be very loud, since the last time i was playing in my garage with the door shut, i had the cops called on me, for rattling house from a few hundred yards away.. Not sure if thats true or not, but i know that people were saying it was loud from a long distance away. Anyways, you could probably make a decent amount with the combo you have now, and just upgrade to the 320watt version, then add the other cab, and have lots of money left over for what ever else you want.
  15. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'd go with a GK rig. 1001RB-II and 2x12 neo. You can get that package from MF for about 1300 with covers and have some spare cash for cables, strings and beer.
  16. get a schroeder man. those are apparently absolutly great!

and then get an uber head and you're set!

any of the options u said would be great too!

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Used Mesa 400+ with Aggie 212 cab. Should come out to about $1500. Or maybe an Ear Candy cab.
  18. illidian

Jul 2, 2004

This thread is over three years old.

19. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Who dug it up?
  20. I think that it was AxtoOx.