$1500 to spend but so many choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T.B. Player, Oct 14, 2002.

1. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    I recently aquired $1500 due to Hurricane Lily hitting close to where I live from the overtime I worked because of it. I have a couple of basses in mind but would like something to compliment my other basses.

I already own a Musicman, Fender fretless jazz bass, and an ABG. I'm looking for a warm sounding bass and I'm currently considering a Fender PJ type bass, a Spector NS4CRFM, Lakland Skyline JO or BG.
    I'm not a Warwick fan but please suggest anything. This bass would be mainly used for a church band with about 7 other players so it would have to be "big bottomed" rather than middy.

2. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    A DP custom with everything!:D
  3. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    You could always go used and get something that is worth way more than $1500.Try all kinds of basses, your the only one that can really tell what has the "bottom end" you really want. I'm pretty sure you could find a used modulus with barts on it for less than $1500.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    would you consider a custom?
    There are some excellent luthiers right on this very forum, who could build you a totally personalized instrument for that sum.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

If you like 5's I'd look for a preowned Roscoe LG3005. They sound wonderful and are very well made.

6. How about a Pedulla Rapture with the PJ pickups in it. I played one the other day, if I didn't already have my MVP with that config I would buy it, some serious thump and a great bass to play too.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I saw someone selling a hanewinckel pro 5 for under $1500 today @ www.bassgear.com there is also Basso Profoundo trading/taking offers for his hanewinckel custom 4 (check the classified section.)
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow... must be a rough problem.....

I am a big fan of the sound of all the Lakland Skylines.... You would probably do well to check them out!

9. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    these are all great suggestions. I would personally go for the Spector. I have one and it's my main bass. Good Luck
  10. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i am always partial to G&L, and i have a great interest in Dingwall. said that...
  11. Of the basses you mentioned, I have a Skyline and I can tell you that it has a combination JAZZ/STINGRAY tone. For $1500 you can have your choice of a new Skyline with some bucks left over or a used US Lakland in mint condition. But there are a whole lotta other really great basses out there for that kinda money. I'd play everything I can get my hands on and I would surf the net until my fingers and eyes hurt. Then I'd rest and then do it somemore. HAVE FUN
  12. Another vote for a used USA Lakland. Skylines are nice and they're every bit the tone monster that the USA models are, but I'd still take a used US model over a new Korean model any day - and I've played them all.

One advantage the Korean models have, though - a separate battery compartment.

You listening, Dan?
  13. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    Well I pretty much narrowed down to either a Spector or Lakland 55-02 deluxe. I like Fenders but I already have a Musicman. I have heard some kick butt tones out of a Lakland but never actually played one. Is the string spacing wide? I could hack it fairly well on a Spector. I've heard the Aguilar preamp has warmed up the Spector sound a whole lot too. So many choices, so little time

14. Alla

Sep 25, 2000
    Hey Hey
    just bought a Peavey Cirrus.
    I vote for this bass. What about a 5 string?
  15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Look at Matt Pulcinella's bass site.
    For that amount, I you can have a real nice bass made, with the components & finish of your choice, either 4's or 5's.
    You would not be unhappy!
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You wouldn't be thinking FBB, by any chance, would you?

17. T.B. Player

T.B. Player

Aug 10, 2002
    Orange, Texas
    Anyway, advice please
    Nino, somebody?
  18. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I would suggest a Matt Pulcinella, a used Elrick or F-Bass, or a DP Custom. I don't see myself forking out $1k plus for a Korean bass such as Skyline, even if it has a fancy name on the headstock. They are already available on the used market for well under $1k (seen them as low as $600).

You might also consider a used Modulus for a very different sound to what you have already, a Pedulla or a Zon Sonus.