150w Combo...gig worthy?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddcotham, May 13, 2005.

1. toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Me and some buddies are about to start playing a few small gigs (less than 100 people) and all I have is a small practice amp. I'm also very broke. I've checked out a few combos between 120 and 150w that I could possibly afford. We're gonna play mostly acoustic rock, nothing too heavy. Would an amp that small work for what I'm going to do and if so, which combos would you recommend?
  2. You need to give us a number to work with and a preference for new or used.
  3. toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    I would prefer new, just to insure longevity but I would probably have about $500 to spend, tops.
  4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Like what brand & model, type of sound, speaker config, brand model etc.

While "A watt is a watt" and all watts are electricaly equal, not all manufacturers ratings and advertisement claims are equal or rated similarly.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  5. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
  6. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I think combo amps are okay for practice, but the ones I've heard used in the field don't seem to cut through enough on their own. Are you going to be going through the P.A. as well? If not, you should consider getting more than 150 watts.
  7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you're going to play somewhere with a PA, just stick a mic in front of your practice amp.
  8. "You go into combat with the gear you have, not the gear you want".

But if you can afford to upgrade in time, seperate cab and amp are the best way to go. You can upgrade cabs, upgrade amps, and keep whichever part you like. Its lighter in 2 pieces, easier to carry around.

Look at it this way. You probably won't marry the first girl you go out with, right? Imagine how much more important the right bass amp is! You'll go through lots of equipment in your career, the combo ties your hands, marrys the amp to the speaker. Evolution has trained men to fear committment for this very reason. Those who go against Darwinism are doomed to extinction.

Also, if the amp breaks in the combo, what do you do, carry the combo and stick another amp on top?

9. A lot of people like to dis combos. But there is something nice about single trip, plug-and-play aspect and not messing around with cables and cabs and stuff. Many combos are just the embodiment of seperately sold components. Head and cabs offer more flexibility and so forth. But combos are still kind of cool. Some people believe the vibrations damage the elctronics over time.

$500 is a good budget and those ashdowns at zz will cut it.

I would probably go for the Eden Nemises NC115, nice sound, portable and light weight and looks cool. It won't be easy finding a dealer to sell you one under $500 stuff, cuz Eden is usally found out the more snobby dealers and they would rather not sell to you if they can't meet their threshold profit. I would call Alan at www.crescentcitymusic.biz first, then Bass Northwest or Bass Emporium. Good luck.

But with that budget, you have lots of choices and you need to take YOUR bass around to as many stores as you can and try 'em out. then get on the phone and get the best price/service you can.
  10. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i gigged with an SWR WM15 combo for a few years, it was 160 watts into a fairly sensitive 15" speaker, and it worked really well. Of course for the bigger venues i used the DI into the mains. I havent tried any of the combos people here seem to recommend but my few experiences with a friend's Kartke kickback 12" was really good. that thing was surprisingly loud.
  11. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Sheesh for $500 you can get Carvin's RC210.

600w into 2 x 10" speakers... Gigs will be no prob. You can upgrade the speakers later with some Eminence Deltas for a bit better efficiency too.

I used this for my first few gigs and had no problems.
  12. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Go to the mains

get a seperate cab (like an Avatar) and a power amp (many available under $300) , someday you can find the right pre-amp for you and you are on your way.

I love combos in general, but (especially back when) seperates were cool and louder.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  13. toddcotham

May 12, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna grab my bass, my more electronically minded guitar player and see if I can't try out everything you guys recommeded.
  14. That sounds good! :)
  15. Probably true, and not always fair. EA makes some combos that probably sound killer.

And I'd heartily recommend getting a combo if you currently had a Peavey head! :D

16. 44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    Nemesis NC210 - nice tone, surprisingly loud, versatile, small, and very light. I’ve used this amp for tons of small club gigs, sometimes with fairly loud bands, and it’s worked out real well. When you have more money and you want a bigger amp, you’ll probably end up holding onto this one as it’s ideal for practice and rehearsals. Who wants to lug heavy gear for rehearsals? I’ve had this thing for about 5 years and it’s my most heavily used piece of gear.

- John
  17. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    dude watts don't matter it's the efficience of the speakers what i would suggest is get a 200 watt preamp and then buy seperatley a 15" driver and a 12" driver because my dad built an amp that works of 2 watts and will get up to 105 db 110 is rock concert level so like i said watts don't matter
  18. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    So yeah, if you had speakers that produced 102db sensitivity and 2 watts of power you could get to 105db easily.

If you had a 1kHz sine wave. Sadly, 4 string basses go down to 40hz, 5 string to 31hz and down there your speakers will barely be audible.

Fact is, watts do matter, though so do speaker sensitivity, speaker area, the loudness of the rest of the band, wether you have a PA and a million other variables.
  19. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    watts still don't matter what you do to get the lows is you either get a 15" driver that will go down to 25hz and a 12" to balance it out or you voice the cabinet and can make it go down o 20 hz so watts really don't matter because my dad plays bands with five string basses all the time and you can always hear the low notes plus human ears only go down to 20hz so you really don't need 500 watts or something ridiculus like that to have power
  20. I think Musicgoround.com has a GK 2x10 combo which I bet would work well. Plus, you'd be able to take out the head if need be.