Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$1510: For This Rig Upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thunderbroom, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm upgrading from a combo (Ampeg BA115) to the following:

U - ART PS 4X4 (power conditioner)
    U - Behringer MDX2200 (compressor)
    U - Behringer CEQ-3102 (equalizer)
    U - Sansamp PSA-1 (preamp)
    N - Yamaha CP2000 (power amp)
    N - Avatar B210 (bass cab)
    N - Avatar B115 (bass cab)
    U - SKB 8U (rack case)

U: Used
    N: New

Total Price (shipping/tax included)
    $1510

I have quotes for everything and am ready to start buying. It's likely a little overkill for me, but some of the equipment is part of the package from the seller.

All things considered, is this a pretty good "bang-for-your-buck" deal?

2. You should be ready to ROCK and ROLL:D

3. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    yup:bassist:

4. I'd personally take a pass on the PSA-1 as your main tone generator. It's a great studio box but I was never happy with it for a main preamp. It will sound fairly compressed already and it hates really dynamic level changes. If you are going rack, best to start with a proven winner and build around that; the Alembic F-1X, SVP Pro, etc.
    Still...wicked deal any way you slice it. whatever you don't care for you can sell for a profit easiliy.

5. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    The PSA-1 comes recommended from a fellow bass player that uses one regularly for gigs. I was gonna go the RBI route, but I play guitar also. I won't use this rig for playing out with guitar, but it should come in handy for recording guitar. The guy that uses it with his rig is running a Henry 8X8.

If it doesn't sound good, I can always sell parts and pieces (like you said! :D )

6. I have owned the Classic pedal, SABDDI, original rack and the PSA-1. I still use the SABDDI for direct to the board recording but would never suggest their (very well designed and built) products for live bass. They have a built in tone that is great for the studio but can sound very mushy and indistinct in a band context. Again, this has just been my experiance. I went with a full MIDI rack and was sure the Sansamp was going to be the cornerstone of it all but it just never worked out that way. Make sure you try playing through a few dedicated bass heads like Mesa or Eden to hear the difference a rich and full preamp can make.

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i would listen to him he knows his stuff. also idf you stick to the used market you can get better quality to price ratio on your cabs.