1590a "Dirty" Boost suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Jan 23, 2017.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Years ago I had a BYOC TriBoost, which was a clean MosFET boost, EHX LPB, and a germanium treble boost all in one.
    The germ boost had three modes: Treble, Mid, and Full.
    I LOVED the sound of the full boost.
    But i sold it as I didn't use the other boosts and tastes changed.
    So now I'm looking for something similar, but it MUST be in 1590a format. I'd like it to be as transparent as possible, or rather as frequency flat as possible but still have some hair.
    I saw the SviSound GE boost, but it seemed to add lows. Prymaxe has a Solidgoldfx BC108 on sale right now, but i don't know how that'd do on bass.
    Honestly I'd love a Southampton V1 Fifth Gear, but they aren't making 'em anymore.
    So, any suggestions where to go from here?

2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I think the TC Spark has gotten great reviews. You might want to check there :thumbsup:

Plectrum72 and wagdog like this.
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Unusual suggestion maybe but I'm really liking the Fairfield Accountant as a dirty boost.

4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have and use the fullsized Spark. Love it. But it's not 1590a sized, and the mini Spark doesn't get dirty.

5. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Werd on the street is that the Fifth Gear V2 takes up about the same amount of space as the V1 with cables. Maybe you can squeak the V2 in?

6. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Right, but how does that help? He can't buy that.

dinoadventures and blindrabbit like this.
  7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Tell me more...

8. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    Id suggest a V2 Speaker Cranker with top jacks and soft switch. With patch cables the Fifth Gear is just as wide at the Speaker Cranker, but the SC is still a little taller.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  9. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
  10. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    blindrabbit and Alien8 like this.
  11. Get one direct from the guys who conceived of it and are still building them, man. Southampton Pedals is a fantastic boutique company that will treat you right.

I actually have a custom built dual Fifth Gear - it is two single knob V1 models in a single 1590b housing, and I absolutely LOVE it.

I've not tried a V2 yet, but I do know from my own board that a side jack 1590a takes up about the same space as a 1590b with top jacks.

Anyway, I think that everyone should have a Fifth Gear. It is a top notch utility pedal that has so many purposes. Mine will never leave my board (thus my decision to get it etched!).

IMG_3872.JPG

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    ah... dirty boosts.

Now I gotta think (gas) about these again.

blindrabbit likes this.
  13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Well, something blew up at my gig tonight, so I gotta suss that out, which will likely kill my cash reserve.
    We'll see what it is, how much it costs, then i'll move on the Fifth Gear if I can.

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    well, technically, earthquaker devices came out with the speaker cranker before the fifth gear which is essentially the same circuit.
    and both of them are based on the electra distortion. Lovepedal's 'woodrow' is also their take on it.

15. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Mooer Pure Boost.
    Joyo Ironman Rated Boost.

16. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    The ValveCaster has been around along time and that doesn't stop you from selling Au Drives. The Fifth Gear is further removed from an Electra than the Au Drive is from a Valve Caster.

blindrabbit likes this.
  17. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    In other news if anyone wants a ValveCaster err... I mean AU Drive contact me. I will even change the single capacitor and etch Au Drive on it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Have you tried the EQD Bows?

19. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Florida
    No I haven't.. not yet.

I have a Gray Channel (has germ diode selection) and a Sound Shank (based on the Buzzaround germ fuzz) and both are killer pedals.

blindrabbit likes this.
  20. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Have to pile on - the 5th gear is the money. What I like is you can use it in a rock situation where you want always on grind, or you can use it on a more subtle situation where you just want a light boost. Extremely versatile.

City, DirtyDuke and blindrabbit like this.