-15db pad pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gravy89, Aug 30, 2017.

1. gravy89

gravy89

Feb 16, 2017
    My active bass signal is too hot for my head and is clipping it, the head I have doesn't have a -15db pad for active basses and I need one, would the EHX signal pad attunator work? I think I could use an EQ pedal for this purpose but kind of feels like a waste, any input would be appreciated thanks!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I promise I'm not trying to be snarky. Have you tried backing off the volume on the bass? With an active bass, it shouldn't really change the tone much if any.

Also, a quick fix if you already have a pedal board could be just a volume pedal.

What bass/pickups and head are we talking about? There are a gazillion players here with experiences with all kinds of gear. Somebody will have tried your exact combination before, I'm guessing.

3. gravy89

gravy89

Feb 16, 2017
    I have a schecter riot-4 with the stock EMG pickups (Bridge EMG 35DC, Neck EMG 35J) and a markbass tube 800 head, the volume knob does work for a quick fix but I was just wondering about an alternative

4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    In addition to decreasing onboard volume, I also found not running the onboard EQ wide open helps.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah this is true too.

Try this. Most active preamps on basses have middle indents. As you turn the knob you will feel a little bump somewhere near the middle of its range. Start there (aka "flat"). Then, if you decide you need more bass, try CUTTING THE TREBLE rather than boosting the bass. That may tame the output a bit and you might find you like the sound better anyway.

gravy89 and viper4000 like this.
  6. gravy89

gravy89

Feb 16, 2017
    Right, I guess I should have clarified most of the time I play with the EQ flat, but I like to use the on board controls for like on the fly adjustments, it's not something I really set and leave, so i was looking for a more permanent solution

7. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    To answer your original question, YES, the EHX signal pad will work. It only needs a power input to run the status LED, it works fine with no power. As others have said, there's lots of alternatives and workarounds too.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Have you tried cutting frequencies at the onboard pre instead of boosting and compensating at the amp EQ?

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Lower your pickups.