15db Pad

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daywalker, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    This is quite a newb question, but I gotta find out somehow right? What's the rule with this pad? Are you only to use it when you have active pickups? Or are you to use it when you have passive pickups and and active pre-amp as well? I was told that you have to have a completely passive electronics system to run with this button depressed. Someone please help, I've only had active elecs before now so I honestly don't have a clue. Thanks...
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, as long there´s a battery involved and you have an eq boost/cut you should use the -15db pad. Active electronics have higher output and the -15db cancels the higher output out.

If you were to put a passive bass in the -15db pad, the volume would be signifigantly lower from the bass.
  3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    As a general rule the previous post is correct, but some all passive systems are hot enough to require using the pad. I used it in a passive P-bass with a DiMarzio Model P, for example. That pickup's output is just HUGE.
  4. I NEVER use the pad, and all my basses are active. Again, there is no rule, but I find my active basses sound much better when they are not 'padded' down. Unless you have the gain control of your active preamp really turned up or you play with an extremely heavy touch, I would start out with the non padded input. If, after adjusting the gain control on your amp, you are still getting distortion out of you pre, and you don't have an internal gain control on your on-board active circuit, then I would go to the padded input.

The key is, there are no rules... you won't hurt anything either way... do what sounds good... for me, it's the hotter input.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  6. Use the pad if you hear distortion from your active bass (indication of signal "clipping") otherwise, don't use the pad. Generally, speaking the more signal you can deliver from your pickups to your rig without clipping, the better.