Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15's and 18's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Feb 7, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I just recently purchased a 5-string and am soon going to be investing in another cabinet to add to my 4x10. Would it be better to purchase a 1x15 or 1x18 and what brands would you recommend?

2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    What stuff are you playing right now? What style of music do you play? Some more info would be helpful.

Anyhow, 1x18 cabs will give you better low end and projection of bass into the audience. They are usually a little bit slower in responce to your playing than a 1x15 or smaller speaker would be. Companies that make them include SWR, EDEN, EBS, Carvin and BAG END. The bigger the box, the better the cab will sound. If a manufacturer squeezes it in a tiny box, it will sound not nearly as good as one in a larger enclosure.

1x15 cabs are good for lows and complement a 4x10 cab well. They have good projection, but not like an 18" does. They have a better frequency response than an 18" would generally. Probably any bass cab manufacturer makes a 1x15 cab. I know Ampeg, Ashdown, Aguilar, Fender, Carvin, Bag End, SWR, EDEN, Mesa Boogie, Gallien Krueger and many, many more do.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What's the 4x10? Many cabs from SWR, Ampeg, Eden, ect, can hold their own on a B string, Eden in particular. Adding another 4x10 would be just as good as an 18 or 15.

But, if you must, Consider the application. a 15 is more immidiate, all around cab. While an 18 sounds muddled and muddy up close, but people ten feet away are picking their bowels up off the floor. Which is good and dandy, but it's hard to EQ them correctly.

Me? Well, I'd get the 1x18 (but I detune, so it's a support, not volume/thump issure)

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I play with a Carvin 4x10, my band plays hardcore type music(it's a little more complicated then just labeling hardcore but anyway...).