Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

15's and Ohm's and watts oh my

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrDizzyStick, Jan 30, 2005.

1. MrDizzyStick

MrDizzyStick

Jan 25, 2005
    Well I decided that it was time for a rig. Any suggestions on what kind of 15' to get. I am a fan of ampeg but it is hard to find a 15' at 8ohms, and have the abillity to pound. I all I can seem to fin our 200 watts, anything more and it is sitting at 4 ohms. . I would like 8ohms because I would like to add a 2 10 or a 4 10 with the 15. My head can only put out 4ohms and after reading an informational, but confusing faq, I found I am not able to have a 4ohm cab and a 8ohm. Is there any way it would be possible? But of course I suck and I don't know what I'm talking about. Please help me

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Find a used Mesa 1-15. They are 8 ohm, efficiend and can handle 400 watts rms.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    abag end 1x15 is great. even though they are only rated at 200 watts RMS they are very conservatively rated. i usually put 400 watts into mine and it does a stellar job. really almost no gigs i can't handle with that one cabinet.

4. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    You can't really go wrong with the Bag End 15. Good tone and volume, easy to carry and reasonably priced. I noticed this morning that there's one listed on ebay. (No, not me!).

5. An Avatar B115 is rated at 600w rms, there are 8 ohm versions available, and at $220 brand new it's a lot of cab for the money.

6. I would definately check into these first. The B115 features an Eminence Kappa pro LF. The 8ohm versions sports a 120 oz. magnet size too. Quality speaker, especially for the price.

Mag...

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I got my 8 ohm Mesa Diesel 1x15 for $275 on Ebay. you can often find them around there or 325.