15's or 10's (or even 18's)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lostcausebass, Oct 31, 2002.

1. 10's...Ten Inch Speakers

33 vote(s)
  2. 15's...Fifteen Inch Speakers

26 vote(s)
  3. 18's...The Mighty Eighteens

2 vote(s)
  4. 8's...Eight Inch Speakers

2 vote(s)
  5. 12's...Twelve Inch Speakers

19 vote(s)
  1. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    What kind of speakers would you want in your cab? If you could only have a 410 or a 215, what would it be? Which speaker for you has a bigger role in the bass world?
  2. I'm running 2x15's now. I like them better than the 4x10's I had much nicer sound IMO.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Even though this kinda' poll has been done countless times,
    I'll leave it alone `coz of axman's cool sig ;) :p .

lostcausebass ; You want I should add 8's and 12's to the choiices?
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    10's - 410's - 10's
  5. 12" are very cool.
    I love a good EV 15
    I like tens with a 15.
    Never tried an 18....
  6. I have four 1x15 subs, and a JBL E-155 18" that is currently in work for a new cabinet.

10s are fine for highs... [ ducking for cover ]

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Is there a specific reason for leaving out the 12"s? To me they seem a good compromise between 15" and 10"...
  8. lostcausebass

Oct 29, 2002
    i guess the 12's slipped my mind. it's just that when i think of 12's, i think of mid-wattage combos. i heard of one guy who made bass 412s...does anyone know an example of such?
  9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    oh boy..here we go again! :eek: where's muniji? :D
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. My speaker cabinet has 1x15 and 1x10 with a horn????:confused:
  12. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
  13. 10's, with 15's for low end. Not many 10's can produce the kind of low end i like, and 18's are too boomy IMO.

If i had to pick one size speaker, 12's.
  14. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    EBS makes a 4x12 as well.

I currently use an EBS 12" combo, and hope I can someday afford two Bergantino HT112s, so I'm in the 12" camp. :)
  15. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    12+8+5, please.
    Where do I check???:confused:

(Settle for the 12, just for total :confused: -ion)
  16. Hi....my name is Mike from Oklahoma City. Unless you're bi-amping, 10 inch speakers is the only way to go. Think about it....no bi-amping means full range which means speaker mass is what it's all about. A 4X10 cab has more speaker mass than 2 fifteen inch speakers.
  17. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Interesting theory, but I can't see how "speaker mass" could matter. Speaker area, frequency response, cabinet characteristics, transient response, etc etc, but not "speaker mass". That could vary depending on materials, design, etc.
  18. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like a mix of speaker sizes.
  19. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    12" for me
  20. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    People tend to choose speakers based on two criteria: Past experience with a certain size, and a sort of intuitive notion that bigger speakers produce more bass, and smaller speakers produce more highs. Neither is, by itself, an accurate way to judge.

There are a lot of factors involved in speaker and cabinet design, and a absolutes. Here are just a few:

1. Larger radiators are more efficient at coupling to the air at low frequencies. So all other things being equal, an 18" should be more efficient at coupling than a 10" and produce a better low end. But have you ever played through an old Ampeg B-18? Terrible efficency and poor low end response. My SWR 10" extension cab has a better low end. It's the Ampeg cabinet design, which was done by someone who didn't know much about acoustics.

2. Multiple radiators working together are more of less equivalent to a single radiator of similar area. An 18" has an area of about 254 in^2; 4 10" speakers have a combined area of 314 in^2! And the 10s have a certain advantage- because the motor- that is, the voice coil and magnet assemblies- is spread out over a larger surface, it can drive the diaphragm- the cones- harder without breaking up- again, all other things being equal. (But of course, all other things are not necessarily equal).

3. You can trade off low end response against efficiency. It's possible to design a 5" speaker cab that will reproduce flat down to 20 Hz- HiFi designers do it all the time- but the system will suck up a lot of energy to do so.

There are many other factors, but this is just to illustrate why you should keep an open mind in choosing speakers and trust your ears, not your eyes.