1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

16.5mm Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Here is a club for people that love 16.5mm string spacing.

2. And have tiny little fingers :D

3. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    G*****ists might qualify, though. :D

I laugh, but for the record I prefer narrow spacing, too. I just don't have a bass that's 16.5mm.

4. I'm holding out for the right string spacing club.

Mike

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I'm sure some baritone players will jump in here, but...

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I love my Danelectro.

7. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I think my Carvin's spacing is about 16.5. I love it.

8. Likewise. I have a 16.5mm bass, but it's a touch too wide still for my preferences. :)

9. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    I never knew there could be a club for people.... just like me!

Yeah, I like 16.5 for my 6 string. I've been playin a Carvin 6 for years, and now that I'm getting a new 6 built... that's my choice. I'm looking at the various spacings available from Hipshot - .656 seems to be the closest to 16.5mm. I measure the Carvin at 5/8", but my tape measure is probably not accurate enough.

My style on the 6 tends to be very chordal and full range, so narrow spacing makes playing chords that spread across the neck easier. I can play with wider spacing... but not that way.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Wow, I made this thread in jest of all the club threads, and never expected Ed Friedland to post. I agree with you Ed. I've had my Carvin LB75f for some time now, and I do like that small string spacing.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Which spacing would that be? I think I have them all covered so just search my threads and you should find it. ;)

12. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think you missed 17.5mm. Either that or I missed it. ;)

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I probably did. Feel free to start that club. ;)

14. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I swear you people don't deserve a club. You've convinced too many manufacturers that anything smaller than 19mm spacing is acceptable. Ick.

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Kael, you member number is #747.

16. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Well, on a 5, I'm a little more flexible. I've got two Lakie 5's and a Fender Am Std P-5, which are all 3/4" (19mm basically). I've had narrower spacing on a fretless 5 that worked pretty well for me.

It's funny that this thread appeared because I've been dealing with string spacing stuff for the 6, and I guess it's official now - I'm in the 16.5mm club. Do we have T-shirts?

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sorry, no t-shirts. :D

18. edfriedland

edfriedland

Sep 14, 2003
    Austin, TX
    :( No t-shirt? How about a hat?

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sure, we can all wear these and everyone will know we are in the 16.5mm club. :D

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.