16 ohm cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sutton, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Ok, I have a few questions. I currently have a 4 ohm Avatar B212 w/ Custom Crossover. Now, I run that with my Mesa Boogie MPulse 600. I would like to put a 210 on top of that 212 sometime, but the problem is that my mpulse only goes down to 4 ohms. So after installing the new crossover in the avatar, I realized that it doesnt seem too difficult to build a cabinet. Now, would I be able to build a 16 ohm cabinet for bass, so when I play the 4 ohm and the 16 ohm cabinet, it will total 4 ohm? Or will it total some weird number and wouldnt be worth my time.
  2. err, playing with a 4 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab wont give you 4ohms . . .

Unless you can daisy chain the cabs (put them in series) you will need another 212, but if you daisy chain two 4 ohm cabs you will get 8ohms, i dont know if your cab has that facility tho
  3. Adding another cab to a cab of X ohms = less than X ohms. Always. So if you have 1 cab that matches your lowest amp ohm rating, you're stuck.

Mohawk is right, if you could hook them in series you would be above 4 ohms. Good luck actually hooking them up in series though. would be tough to get a "series" jack and a "parallel" jack on the back of the cab. Wouldn't be surprised if bad things happened if you accidentally plugged into the wrong jacks in that case.

And in series, with the higher ohm rating, you'd get less power out of the amp, unless its a tube amp with the correct ohm tap available.

My old guitar player thought that because you have a cord from the amp to the speaker, then another cord from that speaker to a 2nd speaker, they were hooked in series. He though you had to have 2 output jacks on the amp, one cable from each of those to each speaker to hook them in parallel.

4. You can rewire your 4 ohm b212 to be 16 ohms which would allow you to connect another 16ohm or 8 ohm cab. The only way to see if it is worth it is to try it out.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    16 ohm cabs arent made for bass. why? they're awful quiet. And like's been said, unless you make special cables for series connection of modify both cabs, running a 4 ohm cab and a 16 ohm cab will result in less than 4 ohms (i'm too tired to do the math)

Welcome to why i don't really like the idea of owning a 4 ohm cabinet with a mono head that handles a minimum of a 4 ohm load. Essentially you're done. finished. end of the line. Any "upgrades" involve buying at least a different head, and likely a different head AND a second cabinet.