1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1663 Fender Jazz Refin $3,999 SHIPPED !!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by poman, Jul 10, 2012.

1. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I have decided to put this on the block...I am just a PJ guy and need to come to terms with it. Fender experts can feel in the gaps and I will give the best and most honest info I can give.

This is the BEST P I have ever owned (and i've owned a ton). It has had a excellent refret, and plays as good as any new Fender CS i've owned with nice action and sick warm tone for days.

The neck and body were refinished long ago so I doubt the decal is original but I don't know. There is one crack on the bottom side of the body that you can see in pics. The years I have had this in all weather temps, I have had NO issues...it has not spread in the least and appears to be cosmetic.

The previous owner wasn't an expert and only had some info on what is original. I don't claim to be either, but I have a decent idea....please let me know if I am wrong on anything.

She came with a white pick gaurd that looks WAY to clean to be original, but is older. My guess is it's a 70's, I put a reliced tort gaurd on her that is a reissue. The covers look old, may be original, but my guess is maybe late 60's or early 70's...they may be the real deal and the same with the thumb rest.

Thepick-ups and tuners I was told are later 60's-early 70's (my guess is late 60's) and are grey bottoms,strong and sound great. The bridge appears to be original, if not...it's really old (at least late 60's). The pots may have at least some of the original cloth wiring...one may be original and one is probably a 70's pot.

I have a old 70's case that is in good shape (a different case than is in the pic), that will come with her.

The truss rod works great (though I haven't needed to use it) and the wonderful clay dot neck is to die for. preCBS bliss.

Here is the only confusing thing. The serial # on the plate dates it very, very early 64. The neck stamp is almost gone, you can barely make out the year, but the date is totally Oct., and the last owner was 100 percent sure it was a 63 (when it was refinshed, they didn't do a good job of retaining the stamp ( noone thought it was important back then). So most likely this was made in 63 and assembled in the first few weeks of 64.

This is all the info I have. It 's the best P I have ever owned. It plays and sounds like a dream...which is more important than the year, but when you have that in a pre CBS and no issues...dang!

Looking to clear some cash and pay some bills...not looking for trades.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :eek:

Attached Files:

3. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :bassist:

Attached Files:

4. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :D

Attached Files:

• pjp.
      pjp.jpg
      File size:
      195.6 KB
      Views:
    • sdohj.
      sdohj.jpg
      File size:
      172.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    I think you need my black Rick

6. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :hyper:

Attached Files:

7. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    ;)

Attached Files:

8. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :bawl:

Attached Files:

9. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :bag:

Attached Files:

10. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    I snuck a post in there LOL

11. Thats sweet! and BTW those are not late 60's fender tuners they are for sure early to mid 60s fender tuners if they are indeed from that time period , the way the heads are mounted and 3 screws look totally perfect-they may even be original to that neck.

12. Daay-umm!!!!! :eek::eek:

13. This is so tempting.

14. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Hmm. Got a pic of the body crack with the guard off?

15. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    Nah, I can get one tomorrow though...I would have to wake the kids up to get to her tonight ;-)

16. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Oh, by all means, don't do that! Believe me, I can empathize. ;)

17. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    Here ya go...it's not moved since I have owned it (and the past owner said the same. Would be a easy fix though if it bothered you (never did me)...thanks!

Attached Files:

18. msperanza28

msperanza28

Nov 22, 2011
    Essex, CT.
    Weight?

19. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.

The bass is 9.5 pounds.

I may end up pulling this ad and selling my 65 jazz instead...it sounds so dang good, that i'm getting cold feet.

20. herrdruhl

herrdruhl Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2007
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Man, wish I could pull the trigger on this one!