1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

16th century polyphony

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bsplyr54, Mar 5, 2001.

1. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Ok hers my problem: I have a composition project due wed. in which I am given a cantus firmus, and must produce a second melodic line. I understand how all the dissonances work, and the rules that apply to perfect and imperfect consonances. However, I have never attempted a piece like this and I have only analyzed pieces. I really havent foundd a pattern as to which consonances and dissonances to use, when or where. I know that the piece must start on an octave, p5, or unison and must use contrary motion away from it, but can i just use freely 3rds ( as long as not more than 3 in a row) 5ths, 8ths, 10ths, and 6ths. I know you cant use 2 consonanes in a row except 3rds. So heres my atual question, can i use the rules aforementioned adnd the rules concerning dissonance as i wish, or is there a pattern. I hope that made sense.
    -paul

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...did you also post this problem to one of the "pros"? :D

You're being given the FIRST melody line & must produce a 2nd one, right? Hmmmmm...
    Do you have access to a piano?

FWIW, it's been too long since I hadda do that sort of assignment(& wasn't my favorite exercise in Harmony & Composition class, either). Too many rules for my slackness.

3. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    ha no i didnt, im just gonna let it ride on here for a while, thanks anyway.
    -paul