Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

16th century polyphony

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bsplyr54, Mar 5, 2001.

1. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Ok hers my problem: I have a composition project due wed. in which I am given a cantus firmus, and must produce a second melodic line. I understand how all the dissonances work, and the rules that apply to perfect and imperfect consonances. However, I have never attempted a piece like this and I have only analyzed pieces. I really havent foundd a pattern as to which consonances and dissonances to use, when or where. I know that the piece must start on an octave, p5, or unison and must use contrary motion away from it, but can i just use freely 3rds ( as long as not more than 3 in a row) 5ths, 8ths, 10ths, and 6ths. I know you cant use 2 consonanes in a row except 3rds. So heres my atual question, can i use the rules aforementioned adnd the rules concerning dissonance as i wish, or is there a pattern. I hope that made sense.
    -paul

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...did you also post this problem to one of the "pros"? :D

You're being given the FIRST melody line & must produce a 2nd one, right? Hmmmmm...
    Do you have access to a piano?

FWIW, it's been too long since I hadda do that sort of assignment(& wasn't my favorite exercise in Harmony & Composition class, either). Too many rules for my slackness.

3. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    ha no i didnt, im just gonna let it ride on here for a while, thanks anyway.
    -paul