16th note Funk runs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 17, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey, I've been listening to a lot of guys doing this 16th note runs in their funk playing for both soloing and fills. I was wondering if you could point me to a resource on the net, or maybe even a book in particular where it could explain this runs in better depth.

Thanks. :)
  2. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    I would just use runs based on either the dorian scale in the key you are in , or the blues or pentatonic minor scale for the key you are in.

For example if the chord you need to fill over is Em, use the E dorian, minor pentatonic or blues pentatonic scale, and make the accents/rhythms match what the drummer is doing.
  3. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I'm also thinking I saw a Rocco Prestia (Tower of Power) instructional video somewhere, you may want to do a search for it. He's the first guy I think of when I hear 1/16 note funk discussed.
  4. Darth_Linux

Oct 12, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Yeah, Rocco is the man. I was lucky enough to open for Tower of Power twice and I hung out stage left and watched him real closely both times. He pretty much does the types of things I suggested - Dorian and/or blues minor over m7 chords, Mixolydian and/or blues minor over Dominant 7 chords.

try it out and you'll hear how easy it is to sound pretty good just using those 3 scale types.
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I pretty much figured they were based on Pentatonics, though I never really gave a thought to Dorian. I will definatley have to check that out.

Sometimes they runs just blow right past you and it's difficult to decipher them note for note when you are trying to analyze them.
  6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    One book that may be handy is '70's funk and disco' by Josquin de Pres, I got it off ebay sometime last year as it was going real cheap.

It has some pretty good stuff in that will probably help you. Lots of riffs (the books quote is something like -'riff based learning like you did in the 70's') using ghost/mute notes.

If you can wait another week or so,I'll scan the kind of riffs in it that your asking for when I get back to college.
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Finger Funk number 1 and 2 by Antony Vitti the exersises are great and each one has a "tricky part" a crux if you will that will really push you.