1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

16th note funk, who invented it?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pedullist, Oct 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    I've always thought Jaco more or less invented syncopated 16th note (or 8th triplets) funk, but if you listen to 70's Bootsy (James Brown) and 70's Tower Of Power you'll hear that type of playing a lot too. In my ear it sounds a bit like fast James Jamerson (with a bit of walking bass), and all chromatic runs seem to have originated from gospel music.

Is there a clear originator of that particular style, or is it something that evolved over many players?

2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    If its same technique I'm thinking of, Rocco Prestia is a star with it and helped shape the sound of finger funk. Don't know if he's the actual "inventor", but he sure helped make it popular.

Reedt2000 and Whousedtoplay like this.
  3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Have you heard "Darling Dear"? It's a Jamerson track from the Jackson 5's Third Album & is also in the SITSOM book. The album is from 1970.
    Doubletime that bassline & it sounds like a Jaco tune.
    :)

Paul Jackson is an early syncopated Funk guy...Bootsy & George Porter, too.
    Upright players like Jimmy Blanton...he's the man!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  4. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I don't think you can actually nail down who started it. I'm sure you'll find 16th note phrases in any music from any era..
    James Brown started the funk so check pre Bootsy guys Bernard Odum and Fred Thomas..
    Rocco definitely made it a staple of his style.. so did Bobby Vega

Dejavu_Jones and gebass6 like this.
  5. Rocco was playing that style on TOP albums well before Jaco released his first album.

gebass6 and JimK like this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Rocco sure did make it hip with What is Hip.

gebass6 likes this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    True. Though Jaco was gigging pretty hard pre-debut album.
    Early recordings with Tommy Strand, the C.C. Riders, etc. It's there.
    And Jaco mentioned a local FL club bassist that he "stole" from. Carlos Garcia?

8. Correct. But obviously Jaco's gigging work wasn't widely disseminated like recordings.

And of course Rocco was gigging prior to TOP's first release.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    I feel a bit ashamed but I've never heard of Bobby Vega (I was brought up with classical and balkan music only, had to figure out all of rock and jazz history by myself, and heard CSNY for the first time when I was 31 haha...I'm 43 now). I'll check it out. Those early Jaco tracks are cool.

10. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    I just had to try it: Fast Darling Dear

:D

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Jaco credited Jerry Jemmott, assorted James Brown bassists, and Roco for influencing him on that aspect

gebass6 and Brother Goose like this.
  12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You're killing me, man.
    I sped it up myself, backed only by my drum machine...no chipmonks chirping in my ear.

:D

13. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    The pitch hasn't changed

14. Various Africans, Cubans, West Indians, etc... It wasn't "invented" in the United States by anyone. Just carried forward and copied.

Brother Goose likes this.
  15. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    And Bach

coilcbl_RT likes this.
  16. Hard to say... Placing 16 notes in a bar is not "an invention" actually...