Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"16th note sequencer bass patterns"

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by tpsb, Apr 2, 2003.

1. tpsb

tpsb

Apr 2, 2003
    What is a 16th note bass pattern?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    buh?

I mean... I assume you are talking about... well... do you know what a 16th note is?

3. listen to Rocco Prestia, bassist for the group War...(whoops...I mean Tower of Power!)

listen to the song "What is Hip..." definately a 16th note pattern...

good luck,
    Dave P

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Indeed, Rocco has the best 16th note grooves this side of Wisconsin.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Word.

6. 16th note = 4 notes (or rests) per beat when playing 4/4 time signature.

1+1+1+1=beats per measure 4/4 time

4+4+4+4= 16th notes in one measure of 4/4 time

sounds like:

"dudududu/dudududu/dudududu/dudududu"

(man, this is one weird reply...I hope it helps!)

good luck,
    Dave P

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're confusing War with Tower of Power.

8. JMX:

dang! you're right...Rocco Prestia is in Tower of Power! (Not War)

I can't believe I messed that one up! My Tower of Power cassette is constantly in my car cassette player. Duh, I feel like a dope.

thanks for the correction!
    DP

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    But my original confusion came from the sequencer comment... where does that come into all of this?

10. takeout

takeout Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Kansas City area
    It's a good start. Try relating it to drums:

quarter notes = one (kick) two (snare) three (kick) four (snare)

eighth notes = one (kick) - and - two (snare) - and - three (kick) - and - four (snare) - and

sixteenths = one (kick) - ee - and - uh - two (snare) - ee - and - uh - three (kick) - ee - and - uh - four (snare) - ee - and - uh -

triplets = one (kick) - and - uh - two (snare) - and - uh - three (kick) - and - uh - four (snare) - and - uh -

11. stupid matt:

it seems like a "16th note sequencer patterns" would be refering to something along the lines of "techno bass"...ie: bass syntesizer parts. Sequenced stuff is simply MIDI synth paterns played simultaneously, sort of like multi-track recording in the old days.

lots of techno, rave, ambient, etc type of music has "16th note sequencer patterns" on the bass end of the spectrum. Lots of times, those patterns are arpeggiated...so they sound "busier" and more energetic.

dude, I hope this helps...I'll be glad when Mr. Watt returns and tackles this one!

good luck,
    Dave P

12. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

g,

maybe a sequencer performing a bass pattern using sixteenth notes. sort of like feeding a scroll to a player-piano (there would be a lot of holes for all the sixteenth notes!).

on bass, watt