16x10" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drpepper99uk, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004
    I thought that would get your attention!!!!!

I have a custom made 4x10" with Eminence 150W speakers inside.I'm looking round for a power amp to go along with my Trace Elliot preamp.My question being what power can I run through this cab?

I have come across an amp that can run at 450-500W @8ohms per channel stereo, but is this too much for my cab to handle? I'm not thinking of using the full power potential per channel on the amp to run into this cab as that would be stupid, but i'm kinda thinking 4x150=600w which i've heard is better to have a cab with more combined power than the amp rating itself per channel so in that case a clear 100/150W more.I'm not to sure on the speakers rating whether it was 150RMS or program.I think they might be the Emienece alpha series as I think there the only 150w 10" drivers they make now.
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wrong. MOST of the speakers Eminence makes are for other amp and cab manufacturers, most of which are to individual specifications. The Alpha, Beta, Delta, Kappa, Gamma, Omega, etc. etc. series are just their "off the shelf" offerings, and only make up a tiny portion of Eminence's overall speaker business.

If they are 150 watt Eminence-made speakers, odds are that they are NOT Alphas unless they specifically state "Alpha" on the back of the magnet.

If you email Eminence the string of numbers usually located on the basket or the side of the magent, they will usually send you back the T/S parameters for that speaker within the same day. They will NOT, however, tell you what company they manufactured that speaker for.

Also, its fairly typical around here to run a power amp with TWICE the wattage of the cab's rating, with excellent results. Just don't run the amp into clipping and you'll be safe.
  3. I run my SWR SM900 bridged mono 700 watts into my Yorkville 2x10 rated at 350 watts @ 8ohm and it sounds grrreat! I keep an eye on the preamp and power amp clip leds to make sure that they never flash and I've never run either gain or master volume control past 12 o'clock. I listen for distortion so that I'm not over powering the speakers. Sounds great and what I get is headroom and large room filling clean bass. Now this over powered 2x10 cab doesn't compare to an 8x10 but my point is driving a speaker cab with an amp that is rated more than the cab while listening for speaker distortion is fine. It also gives me the ability to add my 1x15 Yorkville cab rated at 350 watts @ 8ohms when I need to move more air and that give me 800watts from the amp running a 4ohm load. 400watts into each 350 watt 8ohm speaker cab. Loud clean room filling tone. What more could a bass player ask for.
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. I was hoping for some Uber ampeg cab or something here, like a siamese 810 or somethin