Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

16x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kazuhank, Jun 1, 2004.

1. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    At a gig this weekend I noticed the bass player in the band playing before us had an Ampeg 8x10 (as do I) and since I was already backlined, I suggested he share my cab. He turned me down and offered that we just use both. :eyebrow:

I agreed and figured there would be little difference other than I'd have to lower my volume significantly. At soundcheck, I was amazed at the body and depth that 2 8x10s produced. I can see why the big arena cats line them up. The sound was amazing and I was able to get the tone I long for at a lower stage volume.

I feel kinda bad though as the other bass player's Ashdown would only accept a 4 ohm load, so he only used his 8x10 (no problem with my Aggie DB750).

Anyone else experience the joy of 16 10s carrying your signal? I just wish I could hire a tech to carry 2 of these things around for me. ;)

2. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    I do it often in large rooms (plus my guitar player uses two and sometimes three 4x12 cabs) along with early 70's SVT heads. It's a nice back massage. :D

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    there are a few guys arround here that use two svt 810s. Nice sound. :bassist:

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    At a store I once worked at, I got a wild hair and hooked up a Boogie M-2000 to two Boogie 1516be cabs. That's two 15s, two 10s, & four 8s. Talk about massive!

With the amount of heads and power amps I have, I can drive 16 cabs at once. I'd love to hook them all up at once and experience what you are talking about on a ludicrous scale. Too bad I only have four... :rollno:

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Back in my 80's metal days I used to run a 16x10 backline, 8x10 on each side of the drummer (with two SVT heads at one point). But the guitarist on the other side of the drummer never let me plug in the one on his side. :spit:

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    When I played trombone, I played with a guy would used an Acoustic 360 and a 370, plus a Sunn with a 1x18. Best of all, his younger brother and his friends worshipped him and we never had to move anything. Best road crew I'd seen! They would setup everything before we even showed up, sound checked it and tuned the guitars and bass.