1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

17/04/10 Musicman SUB for £89.99

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawn Luckman, Apr 17, 2010.

1. What a day today has been. After arguing with my Girlfriend I went for a walk,and went into my local Cash Converters shop. I saw a Musicman SUB for sale at only £99.99 aprox $153.
    Knowing it was Made in America and was worth more what it was going for, I could not let this pass me by but as with most things money was tight so I put plan B into effect.

Last May I bought a secondhand Peavey Cirrus BXP for £250 but could not get use to the 35" scale,so I asked about a swap. The guy was up for it so I walked out the door with an American made bass, £60 & a cheap set of strings.

I'm still a bit giddy at the moment but I will take some pictures in a while, I have a couple of questions that anyone with more knowledge on these basses could help me with. The Serial Number is X 01229 what year would that be? And is the pickup the same as the one in the more expensive USA Musicman bass.
    Are these basses better than the Ray 34 bass that is available now, & finally what for Insurance would you say the bass is worth, I rekon about £400-£500.

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Is it active or passive?

The SUB's used all the very same hardware and electronics as the regular expensive ones.

3. There is a battery compartment in the back of the bass, I'm not very up on EBMM basses.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

They seem to be selling in the $450-550USD range these days.

The suprisingly high quality of Sterling SB import basses aren't helping the value of SUBs.

Still a great bass IMO. I owned one for a couple of years and gigged it all the time.

5. battery = active electronics

good find! post pics when you can!

6. thwump64

thwump64

Feb 2, 2010
    Oshawa, ON
    :eek: Dude, that's ****ing awesome.

7. Gnosticbass

Gnosticbass

Dec 24, 2006
    USA
    I owned and gigged with a EBMM Sterling SUB for about 4 years great bass and hated letting it go. The SUB series were/are EBMM through and through with the exception of the poplar body and slab body design.

8. WIN! I Want a SUB5!!!

9. Thank you I'm still grinning now,here are some pictures that I took quickly with my phone.

10. There pretty cool basses i sold one recently for 400$ .

11. And a couple more.

12. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    What a freaking STEAL! :eek: Man, today is your lucky day. I'd play the lottery too if I was you...it seems to be your day! Beautiful bass. I've been Jonesing for a MM lately...just can't justify spending money I don't have ATM. Damn you, Musiciansfriend Credit Card and your ways of temptation! I could get one...now...but I won't. *pfft* Sometimes it sucks to be old and responsible. Anyway, congrats again!

13. I know I'm still amazed that I got it for what I did. And I to am old-ish almost 43, family,mortgage, etc.

14. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Great find! Seems you lived up to your last name. :)

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That's an astounding deal, assuming there are no hidden disasters.

The S.U.B. was a hugely underrated and misunderstood instrument.

The only difference between it and the Stingray was the hideous finish & pickguard, slab body, two-band (Saber) preamp, slightly cheaper machine heads and no case.

Yes, it's a "real" Music Man and it's a great bass.

Heavy, though. :(

Maybe you should fight with your girlfriend more often.

16. Yes it's a heavy bass reminds me of my old Peavey T-40. I may change the scratchplate for a MM one. I'm still in the girlfriends bad books,but while she's not talking to me I can play on the SUB.

17. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Girlfriends come and go and they all talk too friggin' much. An instrument talks when you tell it to. Speaks what you tell it to and doesn't complain when you don't want to talk about your feelings, go to some pointless gathering or just go to sleep. You'll be happy touching your new MM SB long after you've grown tired of touching Miss Right Now.

/end

18. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Basses don't touch you back.

19. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Basses don't touch you back? Arguably, they do. Ears, body, mind and soul. When it comes down to it, "Satisfaction" is all between your ears, not between your legs.

20. freakin nice man great bass u will never finder a better bass for that price evaaaaaaaa