17 and never been drunk. Do I suck?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jan 14, 2004.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    My mates were talking about their most memorable experience when they were drunk. anyway they asked me what my favourite time was and i said 'ive never been drunk' and im proud of the fact that i never have. they looked at me shocked. anyway i explained to them that getting so much alchohol in my system that i cant walk and im laying in my own vomit isnt my idea of fun, and that the closest ive ever been was on new years eve when i found it difficult to get up after sitting down for 15 minutes of drinking. the fact that im 6 foot 4 and 89 kg (196 pounds) doesnt help either :)

anyway they kept explaining how they are gunna get me 's**tfaced' next time they drink and what not. i know they arent, but i just dont find it cool when im rolling around on the ground un-able to walk or unable to tell people what my name is. ive got plenty of time to loose brain cells via alchohol when im over the legal drinking age.

im really proud of myself that ive had so many oppourtunities do get blinded, but i didnt. that was because i was helping my drunk freinds around all the time :rolleyes: why is it that i feel really singled out and akward when i tell my freinds ive never been drunk? :spit:
  2. whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    i don't think you suck, i think you rock. i'm 19 and i don't drink at all, and never have. you could call me straightedge if you wanted, but i don't dig the title so much. i don't press my views on others but i have mad respect for those that choose legality over some fun (?) times... rock on
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think it's bery good that you don't feel like getting drunk. drinking can be ok, but only in moderation. I have seen too many incidents where people got drunk and hurt others or themselves. It's really stupid to drink to get drunk. I have respect for the person that can say, "It's just not for me" in front of their friends and stick to it.
  4. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I totally agree with you that bathing in vomit isn't my top choice for fun. I am also 17 and have never drunk without being in the presence of my parents, and even then it wasn't enough to get me tipsy or anything. I think it's great that some people can have fun and party without getting hammered, even if they can legally drink.
  5. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You suck :D

(For those who don't know, the legal drinking age in Australia is 18)

Kirby, just do what makes you feel right. I didnt drink much for about a year after I turned 18 - I had drunk a fair bit before that so I knew what I was misssing out on.

Once you get past 18 / 19, the novetly of getting off your face soon passes and you will find that most people will only want to drink socially and generally within reasonable limits. You may occasionally still have a big night, but you will find that most people wont drink for the purposes of getting drunk.

Besides all you are missing out on is waking up with some killer hangovers - that can't be a bad thing :)
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hey man....I know how you feel. I never got "watsed" with my friends when I was growing up. I felt weird, and left out when they were all standing around and telling their drinking stories. Noone likes to feel left out, especially when you are a teenager. Man, I know exactly how you feel. I eventually drifted away from that group of friends as we got older. They kept drinking illegally, and I did not. I found some new friends that I felt more comfortable around.

7. XstraightedgeX!!!!

Drinking is all relative. Some people like it, some don't. I don't often get so drunk that I can't walk, but I do enjoy social drinking.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    You're not sad, man. Anyone can down a whole lotta booze and become heinously inebriated; there's nothing 'cool' about doing that. But for a lot of teenagers, it's just the thing to do, I guess. It's just a choice you make at times. You're still you, no matter what. Personally, I'll admit to being so drowned in spirits in my adolescence that I did some extraordinarily perilous things, and yeah, had some profoundly memorable (wow, oxymoron) experiences that I wouldn't trade for a moment, but it's your journey, isn't it? If the compulsion is there, weigh up whether you'll benefit from it(ensure the company is good first, if you do) or not. Possibly, in the end, it'll just be something stupid you did whilst you were still able to get away with being stupid :)

And that's always fantastical.
  9. of course not! drinking has nothing to do with why you suck.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Seriously, if I were you, I would tell my friends that I was proud that I had never been drunk. You're :cool: in my book.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm 20, I'm also sXe even though I don't attach that title to myself. It's almost as bad as calling yourself punk.

Whenever I tell people this at friends parties, they shake my hand and then throw back another cold one. Whatever, I don't really need anyone's approval. My friends always want to get me drunk because it would be funny. On my 21st birthday, my friend Larry is going to take me to the bar to buy me a non alcholic beer. Ha, I'm looking forward to that one. Mmmmm pee water.

My reasoning, even though you don't need a reason, I've personally seen it ruin so many young lives. People's hopeless devotion to it. I can't even afford addiction, but neither can my friends. I know friends who are almost starving because they need alcohol more than food. Drinking almost every night. I've known hardcore alcoholics before they graduated high school.

Another reason, drunk drivers PISS ME THE **** OFF! They all say the same thing, "I'm a really good drunk driver." My uncle's brilliant advice he gave me one day, "If you have to drive drunk, close one of your eyes to deal with double vision."

I had to hold my mouth shut from telling him to **** off. If one of my friends would have died from drunk driving, I've told them all I'd have no remorse, I wouldn't shed a single tear. If they killed someone, I'd piss on their grave. I'd tell that to my best friend. That is MURDER, cold blooded murder.

Not saying all people who drink drive drunk. I want to be designated driver minuteman. If my worst enemy... Carrot Top... called me up and said, "Hey, I need a ride I'm trashed." I'd pick him up.

I say stick with it. Almost all drinkers I've talked to say it's overrated, they either drink to be social or they drink to get drunk/escape reality. It's just poisioning your body for no real reason.

Wow, now I sound like a straight=edger, going on rants about alcohol. I'm not an extremist against drinking/smoking... I don't give up on friends because of it, it just makes me sad. But I try not to think about it.
  12. BaByBlUeBaSs05

BaByBlUeBaSs05 Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    You do NOT suck,I think its great that you don't drink,or never had.If your friends don't appreciate the fact that you never drank and you don't want to,then they aren't your friends.You should have friends that support you and help you through life.Friends that help you make decisions(preferably good ones that is)and that will stand behine you 100%

Rock on!
  13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Cheers embelisher ;)

its not that i dont drink because im under age, and the law has nothing to do with why i dont drink as much as others.

Mark: i suppose its a ritual when your groin up in australia, that if your at a party, and you dont have a can of VB in your hand, your just not cool.

dont get me wrong, i do drink, and i do enjoy drinking, but im still proud of the fact that ive ever been drunk. that way, the day after the party, i can tell all my friends that were trashed what they did, and see the look oin their face! or even better, make up my own stories....mwahaha...
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and **** my head
    Hang out with the living dead
    Snort white **** up my nose
    Pass out at the shows
    I don't even think about speed
    That's something I just don't need

I'm a person just like you
    But I've got better things to do
    Than sit around and smoke dope
    'Cause I know I can cope
    Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
    Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
    Always gonna keep in touch
    Never want to use a crutch

15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Yeah, but dont worry you'll soon grow out of drinking VB (the Aussie equivalent of Bud) - there are much better beers out there!

Someone posted that drinkers do it to escape or for social reasons - there is another reason. My girlfriend works in the wine industry and we both love wine tastings and exploring the flavours of different wines and beers (and I dont mind scotch either).

I think its a tradgedy that people miss out on what a amazing accompanyment to good food the right wine or beer can be. Just like a sauce, it can really enhance the flavour of your meal. So, to those of you who don't drink wine - get into it :)
  16. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Even more incentive to start pissing up every weekend, Kirbs - the Christians are clamouring at your gates, shouting about how cool you are in their tomes! :D
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I've never drank a drop of liquor or alcohol in my life.

And I'm damn proud of it.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

See, that's how fake straight edge I am... is that Minor Threat?
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yeah, minor threat are great, one of my favorite punk bands.
  20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

One of the things that kind of amazes me is some Minor Threat I've heard Ian McKaye sings out of time (or is it out of step... with the world... :rolleyes: ha) and out of key. In Fugazi, he's a pretty good rock singer, IMO. Did he mature that much. Well he did grow up some, but it was quite a transformation.

Oh, but I don't hate Minor Threat. I'd still buy their CD.