1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

17-String Asian Wonder......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SpazzTheBassist, Nov 10, 2018.

1. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    i was verifying another post in another thread of a suspect Chinese counterfeit --- when I came across this, so i posted here for your viewing pleasure.....We had a thread about 10-Strings (individual) a few weeks ago, so I thought this warranted a look-see......As a Stick player, I can certainly find (challenging!! -- and certainly experimental) use for this, although I would have to restring it, retune it to Matched Reciprocal which would also involve a major nut change, and give it a "Stick-like" setup (less tension - it appears to have 4 truss rods, although that can just be for 'looks' as Chinese instruments seem to have a lot of form/no function in the manufacturing process, but possible)........however, as a standard bass guitar, this would be loads of fun to take to blues jams just to look at the expressions on guitar players faces :D

BASS.

gebass6, warrplayer and Torrente Cro like this.
  2. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Hmm... I can't even imagine picking that up and trying to play it like a normal [sic] bass guitar ...but I think the possibilities for creating interesting music by approaching it horizontally like a lap steel guitar, or a koto, could be remarkable!

(Reminds me of Bill Laswell's first solo album, where Fred Frith is credited with playing "Steinberger string console" ...he had an ordinary Steinberger GL-2 electric guitar, but he used it lying on its back on a table, and approached it like a prepared piano.)

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  3. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    You play that like this.
    And NO other way!
    If you play it like a regular bass,people will not understand why you have so many strings.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Nashrakh likes this.
  4. A gimmick instrument through and through. From that picture, it just doesn't look very good. And that's coking from someone who has fought the corner of ERB's in the past, despite them often appearing musically redundant beyond a few tired tapping pieces.

Adam Wright and MEKer like this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    That's actually the Jared Dines scam guitar, see Jared Dines Got Scammed on That 17-String Guitar | MetalSucks
    I love the look of a neck with lots of strings, the body has no thought put into it though. It won't be tuned in all-fourths, that's actually impossible.
    Look at the price, probably low quality.

It's actually a custom version of a similar 15 string made by the same company Musoo Brand 15string Electric Bass Guitar - Buy 15string Electric Bass Product on Alibaba.com
    There's also a nice looking 10 string New Brand 10string Electric Guitar With Thru-neck - Buy Electric Guitar,10string Electric Guitar,Thru Product on Alibaba.com

Here's a 17 string tapper done right 17saiter

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    yeah it is! Reminds me of a Krappy tapper .......... thanks

gebass6 likes this.
  7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh: