Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1736 Italian bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bwulf, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I don't have any info, but I was about to post about this bass too. Any of you guys know - was this built as a 5-string? The 5th tuner looks a bit out of place with the others...........

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yes, I have been looking at that Bass and spoke with the owner. The Bass was most likely a 4-string at most when made but has been a 5-string since before it came over from Italy.

The Top is Shot !! It needs a complete restoration including being steamed out, a partial Breast patch under the lower Bass bar and maybe in the center as well. Then you have the rest of the job.

I estimate the repairs if done properly will cost no less that $20,000. Also that Bass was never touched by the father. That is not his work at all if even a Ruggieri at all !! It does however look old Italian but of fair workmanship only. The Scroll also looks a bit too neat in the photos to be from the same hand.

I would hope the sound makes up for the workmanship.

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    When I first noticed that bass I was considering it fairly strongly to restore and turn over, however it would need far too much work. There are too many questions surrounding it. It does appear to be Italian, but as Ken sais it does not have particularly good workmanship. I couldn't afford to tie up my money for the amount of time it would take to profit. If this was a "mystery bass" like Ken's instrument it would be a different story!

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    AJ don't make his head bigger than it already is ! NOOOO

5. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Just when you thought you knew someone, this happens!

Slow day Don?

I have about 6 hours of research into this Bass plus over three decades of experience to weigh my decisions.

Actually, I wear a small sized hat. The trouble is, I wear about 50 of them a day!!........lol

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    .........."Not For Sale" ...........

I just recieved an email from the owner. The bidding is closed and he has decided NOT to sell the Bass at this time.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    he probably got an offer he couldn't refuse.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I spoke on the phone with him. He said that he doesn't want to sell it and may get it repaired locally.