Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$175 to spend...what should i get?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slickhare, Dec 28, 2005.

1. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i currently have a Washburn XB100 and an SX SJB (no mods on either and the strings are fine). Kustom KBA16 combo amp. tuner. fatfinger. monster cable.

so i was wondering, if someone could give me some advice on where to wisely spend my newly earned moolah?

2. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    the strings on both are fine... although i really am starting to hate my ProSteels... :meh:

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, they won't be fine forever. :p For $175, you can't get much besides strings immediately. If you're not satisfied with what you have already, save up for upgrades in gear.

4. Yea. Just save up. The graph of how much more you are getting per dollar for basses is far from hitting its inflection point to concave down. (In other words, every dollar you save for a bass is worth saving at least until the $600 mark IMO).

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd say the amp is where you need to invest in next.

You could either invest that cash in a coffeeshop-size combo (Behringer BX600 or something around 60w/12" or more) or save for something around electric band size, 100w+.

I'd say coffeeshop "acoustic" situation is where you would aim at this point - most young bands want to be on big stages, have loud practices etc where the 60-watter just doesn't cut it, but I think you'd want to start from the smallest and eastiest possible gig situation, which is a coffeeshop thing, usually without drums.

If you have any extra cash, a Behringer DI-box thru which you can play directly into PA system, BDI21 I think is the model name, would be quite a wise investment at less than $40.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Nudie Bar. Lap dances. Nuff said.

7. Thats really a huge question and the fact that you dont have much money to play with makes it even more crucial. It depends what you plan to do with your bass playing. I would have to agree with Tsal. Alot of times a bass rig is only used for your onstage monitor, everything the crowd hears is through the PA which is run from a DI box into the PA board. So, if you get a good DI box, it would open a few more doors for you as far as playing with a band. You could plug right into a PA whether that be at practice or at a show. I know its not as exciting as getting a new bass or rig, but you asked.

Or you could take Cheezwiz' advice and take me to the nudie bar for drinks and a lap dance. :hyper: