1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

17mm Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tony G, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Here is a club for people that love 17mm string spacing.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    nobody loves 17mm string spacing? ;)

3. I don't mind it. Sometimes it beats having to deal with a really wide neck.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Spade2you, you are member #69.

5. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    i first learned on a 17mm, 5-string, but i didn't know it at the time. now, i am about to plunge into the world of 19mm. and i am... a little nervous. :meh:

6. I'll join your 17mm club! I have little-kid-size hands, so I'll happily take narrower spacing whenever I can get it.

Brendan

7. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    All my 5'ers are 17mm. My piccolo is 16mm, but the smaller strings make it feel the same. I saw your 16.5mm thread...actually I think 16.5 could work just fine for me on a 5, but I don't know anyone that makes a bridge (that I like) in 16.5mm for 5 strings. Might eventually go with individual bridges someday to try that tho.

As a result, my 5 string necks are only slightly bigger than 4 string necks. 1.65" nut, and 2.65" heel. 19mm feels huge now.

8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    My Modulus Q6 is 17mm. So I guess I'm in the club but I wish it were wider and I wasn't. :bag:

9. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    My current fivers are 19mm but I really like the narrower spacing on some basses, so count me in. What's my #?;)

10. I also have a Modulus Q6 with 17mm and having another 6 string built with 17mm..

Don't mind 19mm, and honestly, I can't tell a HUGE difference between the two(unless I'm slapping).. But, the least movement, the better for me.. Thus, why I'm sticking with 17mm

11. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19

Slapping is tougher for me on the Q6, the thumb stuff is okay but I have to pay attention to the G string... can't just reach down there blindly. That probably has more to do with the fact that it's a 6-string though.

On the other hand, 17mm makes chording pretty comfortable. And that's really what I got the Q6 for anyway.

12. Absolutely.. For me, the problem with slapping on the 6 I dont think really has anything to do with the 17mm spacing but more to do with the C string..

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    17mm spacing is the only time I feel Truly At Home on a fiver.

I don't want a member number, just showing some love for 17mm. :smug:

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Too bad, your getting one. You member number is 80085.

15. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i heard Tony G has a 17mm club.:eek:

http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

16. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

And a 16.5mm, and a 18mm......:ninja:

17. I'm in - my ATK305 has 17mmm and I LOVE it - perfect spacing for me, especially for muting ease/left hand ease.

WAS a devout 20mm(!) 5 stringer for years - has its advantages, but I found the wider neck less comfortable in long playing sessions and I can mute a lot better with 17mm.

Number pelase... :)
    Jamie

18. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You can be number 007.

19. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i think my spector is 16.8mm, and my G&L is 17.5mm, so TECHNICALLY i don't own a bass with 17mm spacing, but either way i like it tight :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.