1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"17th Street" 4-String, made by John Carruthers

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Joebone, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    PRICE DROP TO $900, shipped CONUS in gig bag.

I don't know why Carruthers basses don't show up more on Talkbass or ebay - you see them in use here in Los Angeles, and those users tend to be pretty happy -- maybe they're simply holding on to these axes, or there simply aren't very many of them? But these fine instruments are hand-crafted by John Carruthers, who has enjoyed a long career as a luthier and consultant to major manufacturers (Yamaha, Fender, G&L). A visit to Carruthers's shop is a treat, to see folks whose handiwork and craftsmanship is backed up by an awesome CNC capability.

This axe is a Carruthers instrument marketed under the "17th Street" label, which apparently was a short-lived effort by some other folks to market instruments built in the Carruthers shop. If you go to the Carruthers website (www.carruthersguitars.com) and inspect the CB-4, you'll see an instrument that is identical to the 17th Street, except that the 17th Street body is a tad smaller and more rounded at the edges and sports a reverse headstock, and the neck is less thick than Carruthers' stock dimension.

Otherwise, features include:

Ultralight Swamp Ash body w/Natural Satin Finish
    Maple neck w/Madagascar Rosewood fingerboard
    34" Scale
    22 frets
    1.625" at the nut
    EMG 35-TW Double Coils w/individual coil splitters (push/pull pots for each)
    18V setup, EMG BQC Preamp - Volume, Volume, Bass, Treble, Mid w/Sweep
    Hipshot A-Style Bridge - Satin Chrome
    Hipshot Ultralight Tuners - Satin Chrome

This instrument is a real thoroughbred. It's very light and very responsive - the acoustic sound and output is pretty amazing.

The setup and condition are also excellent, because after I bought it, I took it to Carruthers for TLC. This instrument has therefore been rehabbed and set-up (including replacement, under EMG warranty, of a failed pot) by the same people who built it! There are a few small dings down by the input jack as pictured below, and you can feel some of the wood grain under the satin finish (not unusual) - and that's it.

It plays like a dream, but I'm selling it because I ended up getting a Carruthers CB-4 with a mahogany body -- I've been on the verge of selling this one several times and then pulled back, but at this point I'm really not using it at all, so off we go. I'm asking $1050.00, plus shipping - the axe will come in a good gig bag, very well-packed.

2. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    More pictures...

3. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Two more shots, including the dings near the input jack

4. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Per inquiry, the weight is 8 lbs. on my digital bathroom scale, which I guess means it's somewhere between 7.75 and 8.25 pounds. It's certainly the lightest bass I've ever played, but has plenty of authority in it's sound. It is especially fluent in the language of slap and pop!

5. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    No love for this bass? Could this be a job for Ebay?

6. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Price down to $900, shipped CONUS in gig bag.

7. fishhed

fishhed

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi,

I live in LA. Maybe I could check it out. I like the feel of his instruments, some sound a little "clean" for my taste but they are quality for sure.

8. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I've been ambivalent about selling this, but really need to move on, so bump.

9. Joebone

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    bump...where else are you gonna find a high-quality axe that weighs less than 8 pounds? And while fished remains welcome to come by and check this out, I need to state that this particular axe can indeed get some ballsy growling sounds....the tonal flexibility is great.