$18,000 jazz on ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sal paradise, Jan 8, 2005.

1. flak44

Nov 4, 2004
    Kent, UK
    Looks like the necks been refinished and the sanded round the logo. Looks cool apart from the screws sticking out of the bridge
  2. Holy S*** ! I wonder why it is soo expensive . Maybe because it's an '' all original late 1960 /early 1961 Fender Stack Knob Jazz Bass finished in super rare blonde over ash finish.'' :)
  3. I don't think that there is a way that that jazz is real. If I remember right, Fender didn't even make the Jazz until '62, and they're saying that this one is a '60? Plus, the logo on the headstock has clearly been messed with.
  4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Not correct. The Jazz Bass was intoduced in 1960. The decal is correct. In fact, if a bass from this era doesn't have a discolored decal, it's possibly a fake. The real decals became discolored like that. That bass is the real deal IMO.

BTW, the "screws sticking out of the bridge" are from the original adjustable string mutes.

But 18 large? Hmmm. I'll be surprised if it even gets close. Without any other historical significance, that's way high, again IM non-expert O.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Whoa. 18 grand?? Not for me.
  6. I stand corected.
  7. Keep in mind that over here, gear tends to sell for close to the same amount in GBP as it does in the States in USD. Plus, Music Ground is one of several extortionate shops on London's Denmark Street that is ridiculously over-optimistic in their pricing...

If I remember correctly, they were once selling a used Ibanez Chrome Boy (the shiny thing Joe Satriani plays) for about GBP3,500. Half the finish had scraped off, and it was showing the orange luthite body underneath!
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I played that bass a couple of days back, it sure is nice :)
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Considering that one can purchase a Custom Shop, Relic, Special Order, off the Rack Fender, or any other finely crafted Bass/Guitar BRAND NEW for a fraction of that price and do quite well is giving the "vintage" market more competition.

I know many here think little of Ed Roman, but the "vintage" section of his website cautioned against some "vintage" purchases from "experts" because of the ability to replicate many vintage features and con the public. The quote: "...the best chance of scoring a real vintage instrument is when you buy it from someone who has no idea what it's really worth" has some truth to it.

There are a few stories, but one could probably win the Powerball Lottery before finding a "vintage" instument at a "steal".
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's in great shape and is the Holy Grail of collectable basses,but I've seen good ones for 8000us and one that good shouldn't be more then 10-12000 us tops, Maybe George Gruhn will correct me.
    Steve B
  11. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Wow, Drool!!!!!! :cool:

What a sweet Jazz. I also like the '65 P-Bass.

I hate the collector's market! :spit:
  12. I'm sure it was nice, but was it 18 grand nice?
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Depends if you've got 18 thousand dollars to spend on a bass, I guess.
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

BTW years ago Cesar Diaz and I were in a group together. At one rehearsal he bought this same model bass for me to check out. It wasn't in as good a cosmetic shape as this one but it was probably the sweetest Fender 4 string Jazz I've ever played.
  15. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Remember this is a British auction and typically investment grade or top MIA basses sell over in Britian for the same price in pounds sterling that they sell for in US dollars. Couple that with the fact that the pound is worth almost $2 (about $1.94 to be exact) and you have the $18,000 price easily. In general, you could pay your way to the UK and back by bingin over your MIA gear if you had a buyer. You could double your money without even breaking a sweat.
  16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  17. If I'm going to spend 18k on a jazz bass, Jaco better have died on it.
  18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    one word WTH? care to explain?
  19. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Repeating what rogerbmiller already said: this is a UK auction, and UK prices, vintage or new, are way higher than US prices. Standard seems to be to charge in pounds what we would charge in dollars -- which at today's FX rage means about 2X the US price. A new standard MIM P-bass goes for 370 pounds or over $700.