Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

18" cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I'm looking for a good 18" cab but i'm a poor student and don't really have much cash, i looked thru some catalogues i got and searched the internet but it seems Hartke is the only one that i can get (I live in sweden), Avatar isn't available here.

Has anyone got/tried the Hartke "1800" cab?

Thanks! :bassist:

PS: Swedish company EBS doesn't make 18" cabs, that's weird....

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Bag End, Eden, and SWR all make 18'' cabs.

Probobly be alot of $$ to ship it to ya though.
    Just some extra info in case you wanted any different brands.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Eden and SWR is available but cost alot more then the Hartke

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    4 ohm 18 cab.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Carvin makes an 18" cab that will probably cost less than many of the previous ones mentioned. Ampeg has one, but its discontinued so you would have to search for used.

6. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Have you tried it? what did you think of it?

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The old Ampeg 8 ohm 175 watt cab is discontinued.
    The new 4 ohm 500 watt 18 cab is very available.

8. I used to have a Carvin 18. I really was unimpressed. It didnt go as low as my Mesa 15. and it was really muddy. so far I havent found an 18 that I like. I am not a 10 are the only way to go guy either.. I currently use 2 1x15 cabs. 18 are just to muddy for me.

9. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    JBL Professional 18" powered subwoofer.

10. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I'm also interested in the Ampeg SVT-18. Does anyone have any experience with it? I think it would look kick ass under my SVT-610hlf.

11. IMO, you will be sorely disappointed with commercial 18" cabs. Reason: the manufacturer insists on stuffing an acoustically large driver into a too-small (read: marketable) cabinet. The result is a gutless bottom, steep rolloff below the tuning frequency, and mud resulting from crappy group delay numbers.

You can download my spreadsheet, sort by size then Vb (box volume) and see exactly how much volume is required by these big boys. The only 18s that go into small cabs are the very inefficient ones that require a lot of power to drive them. They are useful only for subwoofers.

Premium grade 18" drivers cost a lot of money.

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    18s are a really poor choice for bass amplification in my opinion. The sound is floppy, lacking definition, and lacking punch.

13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

14. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

You won't run into any of those problems with a professional high powered subwoofer. 18's take a lot of power to move. All of my speakers are really large so in order to get the bottum end and the clean punch I have to run a lot of power. If you choose a subwoofer type set up you have to run at least 1200 watts in order to make it work.

15. I agree. I tried tons of amps and speakers before choosing my rig, and ALL the 18s I tried left me frowning. Lots of bottom, yes. Good sounding bottom, no.

16. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That's strange.! They did a year ago anyway. Call them directly: 08-7350010
    Maybe they forgot to put the cabs on their site.

/Andreas

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I've used and was happy with both a fender spectrum bxr 1820 (18 + 2 10's), and peavey 1820...But, they're big and heavy. I recently traded both in at Mountian music in Kansas City if they're close to you.
    I'm playing an swr henry 8x8 right now, and waiting for my schroeder 410 to arrive. Both seem to be fatter, more responsive, smaller, and lighter than either of the 1820's I used. But if you've got a strong back, I was happy with both of those...

18. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have an 1810 - the unit before the 1820. I got it for $60 !!! I couldnt turn it down. Its huge and very heavy. Ive got a 15 as well, I've dueled the custom 15 and 18 and the 15 come hand down. Its got a tighter sound. With the 10's and 18 running together it does actually sound pretty good together. Im told that 18's area great for upright bass though.

Taking it anywere required someone to help me get it into and out of my truck. Its gotta realistically weigh over 100lbs.

But.. Its cheap, Ive saw one on ebay with a peavey mark IV dual amp for 300.

I can send u a pic if you want. PM me.

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I haven't found a front loaded 18 that I've liked, although I find my horn loaded 18 to be way punchier than any 15...

20. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    Well the only 18" cab I've ever played through its the SWR Big Ben.

With 400w from the power amp it sounds great.
    I also use a SWR 1x15 and SWR 4x10 on top (the stack is taller than me).

We did a show where I forgot to hook up the Big Ben (it was rush to get on the stage)

First few songs I could not figure out what was wrong. There was no crushing Bass shaking the stage.
    At a break I looked behind the stack and saw the problem. Plugging in the Big Ben made a huge difference to the tone. Filled the bottom and got the stage moving.

I won't gig without it, although I will say you'll need something on top to define the high end for you.