1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

18 cents... changed my tone & cured my GAS. Ramp & Thumbrest alternative

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Awesome idea someone shared with me... Adding a self adhesive bumper to my pickguard as a thumb rest! Now I can play exactly where I want over the strings :bassist: The tone changes really dramatically. I was always stuck playing wherever my pickup was. I was able to take it off try a few positions, angles with no problem

If you look real hard its a black square right above my bridge pickup

ry%3D480.

Comes in 3 colors... costs 18c, sticks well & leaves no residue

Mouser bumper

Here are a couple of options...

3M Bumper PDF (Different Options)

I opted for the SJ-5018 which is .23" high, just about the same height as the pickup. The round version SJ-5003 is an option too.

I was going to look for a more aggressive bass but I like the tone off this bumper. If I had a single bridge pickup, I'd put a bumper closer to the neck to warm up my tone.

Pretty cool... so before you go pawning your bass, give this a try & you will be surprised how much tonal variety your bass bass have :cool:

2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Will it work for Metal?!?
    Seriously cool. Wish I had known this before I drilled a thumb rest next to the bridge! Now you let the secret out!

3. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Quite inventive! I typically tend to play near the pickups out of convenience and comfort, but sometimes focus more on tone specifically and find a killer spot right between the pups that's hard to play. This would be great for that! Thankfully, one of my basses has a slanted j and humbucker fairly close together which gives me enough area to find the sweet spots with ease.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    LOL How about funk country or classic punk?

5. MiJaKo

MiJaKo

Oct 27, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    What's the longest you've played since you attached it? I'm intrigued but I think it would irritate my thumb by the time I was halfway through a gig.

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Just put it on today, I'd imagine the round guy would be less irritable although changing the angle makes it customized to you unlike the hard plastic pickup.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm guessing you mean thumbrest alternative rather than ramp alternative :)

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Youre right Bryan but I was actually looking into ramps too.

No drilling, no residue, costs nothing... pretty neat trick to change your tone so easily

9. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Used it for a while last night, comfy!

10. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    Sorry, but I can't see anything here? Are you talking a ramp-like thing between the pickups?

If you're talking about a thumb rest, I'd be curious how you're dampening the strings if you're keeping the thumb locked on the side of the bass anyway?

I've built ramps of various kinds over the years out of pieces of wood using sanding blocks and sticking them between the pickups with double stick tape or foam sticky pads. It takes some skill with a sanding block, but if you can score a radius block from somewhere you can make a really precise one.

I pluck over the pickups on my basses exclusively so don't use ramps anymore, but a proper ramp is actually not much more expensive to make (maybe a few bucks rather than cents lol). And they really make a nice feel if you play in lots of different positions...

LS

pappabass likes this.
  11. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    What is the original purpose of these bumpers?

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's what electronics salesmen used to call "LRF support".

Little Rubber Feet.

13. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I've used these "rubber feet". They work great.