1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

18" driver for this Peavey cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by setyaback, Apr 22, 2015.

1. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    Hey folks. I've been nosing around for an inexpensive 1x15 cabinet without much luck, 'til this morning when I snagged an old 1x18 Peavey cabinet for the excellent price of $0. Dumpster beauty, it looks like this one:

[​IMG] (http://images.guitarcenter.com/products/optionLarge/Peavey/110816967_lg.jpg)

Now I'll admit I've never in my life even thought about a setup with an 18" driver, and I don't have any specific notions about what an 18 could add to my rig -- to he honest I'm pretty damned happy with my current 4x10... but man do I like free/cheap stuff :) Unfortunately, the cab is empty, so now I'm on the hunt for a decent speaker. My question is -- are there any reasonably-priced alternatives to the Black Widows that I should be sniffing around for, or should I just keep it simple and throw a BW in there?

There's an ad on my local craigslist for the following 18's -- would any of these make sense for this box?

Quantity (2) Cerwin Vega 18", 8 ohm , 300 Watts, model # 188 EM Good Condition, $60.00 each

Quantity (1) Cerwin Vega 18", 4 ohm , 300 Watts, model # 188 EM Unused recone from Midwest Speaker $80.00

Quanity (1) Madison Executioner, 18" , 4 Ohm , 1000 Watts. $95.00.
    For a little more context -- my amp is an Acoustic b300h and my other cabinet is a 4x10 Ampeg B40 from the 70's with newer Celestion BL10-100x drivers, wired at 8 ohms. My amp is good with anything over 4 ohms impedance and has two parallel speaker outputs. I'd need the 18" to be 8 ohms as well in order to run it in parallel with my 4x10, but as fun as that sounds it's totally unrealistic for bars I typically play at, and I think I may be spreading my 300 watts kind of thin in that scenario. So I'm open to a 4 ohm speaker with the thought of running just the 1x18 at times.

To throw another wrinkle -- if I'm not able to find an 18" I like at a decent price, I'm considering just fashioning a new baffle and turning this into 2x12 or a 1x15 perhaps. Although that's a big box for a 15.

Thanks for reading, love to hear you thoughts.

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    As far as know, the 188 EM are horn drivers, very low Qes, but they may work pretty well in a (relative) small ported cab.
    Don't know anything about the "Executioner" though....

3. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry, I'm not very well-versed on the nuances when it comes to big old bass speakers -- I'm not sure what a "horn driver" is exactly -- does that just mean it was mounted in a cabinet with a horn and a crossover was used to keep the high freq's away form the driver? Can it still be used stand alone with no horn?

I did some reading on the Eminence website to try to understand the Q params, I think I have that down. What's your idea of a "small" cab. I have no idea if this thing is ported yet, need to pull the grill off and take a look I guess.

4. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    Here's some pics of the actual cab, soaking up some rays in the back of the van. Bade on back says it's a 118D enclosure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    drooldrooldrool
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:
    i loooooove 118"s

6. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    any thoughts on speakers?

7. Without measuring the internal volume and ports, then modeling it, and possibly having to do some re-engineering to the cab - it is just a guess.

Best speaker is the one the cab was designed for.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  8. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    I know a black widow would make good sense since that's the stock speaker, but the whole jist of my original post is that i'm looking for alternatives. I don't like the idea of looking for 1 single specific speaker that was manufactured 20+ years ago, as I feel it puts me in a position of weakness and greatly limits my options.

We're talking about a free beater cab here; i'm not looking for reverse engineered perfection, but it stands to reason someone around here might know of some alternatives to BW's that will perform well in this enclosure -- or maybe somebody has had a similar cab and has good luck replacing blown BW's with "________" -- so it's cool if you don't know the answer to my question, but please don't write it off and say "without the math you'd be guessing" -- I'm looking for someone who can answer from experience here. thanks!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  9. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    The Cerwin Vega 188me won't perform bad in that cab, for me 60 bucks would be worth the try.

Gaolee likes this.
  10. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    Thanks again for your help -- I wish I could find more info online about the 188's, but it's sparse. Like you said, though, at $60 it might be worth a flier.

Still very much interested in other suggestions for black widow alternatives in a cab like this. THanks!

11. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    i do not design bass cabs so take this with salt, have you looked into any cans for PA as such? (note: 32.6lbs:eek:;))

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Congrats on your super score there! I remember that puppy well. Could shake buildings with the right amp!
    I just bought a mint vintage Peavey Databass with a new Black Widow. The previous owner had just purchased it a few months before his wife made him sell the amp! LOL. The point is, Peavey still makes the Black Widows and I'm fairly sure after all these years they've been updated, keeping up with the times. My Black Widow is very powerful and versatile, and it can sound modern.

My vote is try out a Black Widow, you might be pleasantly surprised. After all, that's what the cab was designed for, and you won't need to make any modifications. And if not, you got 30 days to return it.
    Good luck! :)

Edit: if you can't find a suitable alternative, you can always sell it here or on auction or Craigslist. Money returned is all profit!

13. setyaback

setyaback

Apr 14, 2015
    St. Paul MN
    @Dash Lashes -- I hadn't been considering it, that looks like one tuffff speaker -- maybe a bit rich for my tastes, but I appreciate the shout.

@alaskaleftybass -- I'll definitely take that into consideration. The brand new ones are more than I want to spend just now, but I'm watching a couple of used ones on ebay. Thanks!

14. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I used to run a peavey 1810 cabinet (monster 18+210 in one cab). The original bw had been replaced with an 8ohm EV, not sure the model but it was only about a 200w speaker. It actually sounded pretty good. I preferred to bypass the cabs crossover network by plugging directly into the low and hi biamp inputs as if it was 2 cabs, 4 ohm load for the 210 scorpions, and of course 8 for the EV, giving a 2.6ohm load which was probably about 400w on my swr bass 350 (450@2ohm). It was actually a pretty killer rig, but of course I sold the cab when I got swr cabs. I sold it to a friend though so I got to see it a few more times, along with the swr st220 I sold him.

I would be reluctant to put a cerwin in a bass cab, probably too boomy, and what the other poster said about being a horn driver, meant that it was designed for a horn cabinet (the size of a vw bus lol) or a folded horn, the kind you see as subwoofers in many clubs with older systems. You have a ported cab, so a driver intended for a potted cab is a better bet. Also, I remember being able to see the EV logo on the cone through the grille, would you really want a cv logo visible? Come on, only DJs and car subwoofer enthusiasts would find that cool, bass players and sound engineers would turn their nose up at it :)

And my old home stereo speakers were cerwin d3's lol

15. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Contact Carvin great speakers low price. Or Peavey for their 118 which should drop right in

grenadilla likes this.
  16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I had one of these in the band I was in back in high school. We put it in the room next to our practice room, facing the wall. Used the PA for highs/ mids. Best days of my life.

17. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    The "classic" horn driver has a low Qes, when put in a ported cab it will sound more lean then boomy.

18. New baffle and 2x12?

19. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I was referring to cerwins general lack of midrange actually, not cabinet designs, should have been more clearly marked as 2 separate points, plus I wouldn't know how the drivers react specifically, but I just wanted to put a brief description that a horn bass cab was not referring to one with a tweeter :)

20. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Definitely would be a risk unless he got the 12's for free and the wood also. I wouldn't put too much into an old peavey box, just drop in the cheapest appropriate 18 you can find. And it does not need to be a high power one with a b300, 200w like that old EV I had would be fine. If going new, check out carvin and eminence if the price is lower than the bw go for it. I bet used old bw's would be pretty cheap though, or maybe if they made a scorpion 18. I just think the cerwin would be better off in a bonk bass dj rig ;)