1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

18" Eminence

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Old Fart, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I've got questions for the TB Braintrust:

I am thinking of pairing an EVM-15B with an Eminence 18. I do not slap my bass or play violin through my rig, so I have little use for horns or other elements to broadcast any crackling noises. I play BASS. Although, I do like a fair amount of 'timbre.' The EVM does this beautifully. So I am thinking this might be a nice pair of speakers for me. Each in their separate cabs, which I may fabricate. The plan would be for simple, front-ported cabs. Any concerns?

Also, has Eminence ever made a "bad" 18? Older speakers are not up to today's standards, and I wonder if an old Eminence 18 that has recently been reconed would be expected to meet today's standards. I don't want to go through all this only to find that the 18 I am using farts out.

2. I guess my questions are:
    What are you trying to accomplish by that pairing of drivers?
    Is the EVM already loaded into a cab?
    If so what about its tone are you looking to change/add to?

3. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    You may get more help from the experts here if you tell them which Eminence 18" are you considering.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What 18? Eminence has several, a couple that don't need hige boxes and at least one (Sigma) that has enough mid to called "full range" as much as an 18 can be anyway.

What's missing from your EV? If you just need louder, get another one of those. If you need deeper, I'd use a crossover and run the 18 as a sub, filling in <100hz where the EV starts falling off.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    I think every bass player should use a minimum of 2 speakers.
    If its a 210, 212 , 215 etc etc.

The extra presence more speakers holds, the extra sensitivity from a pair and more power handling.

Discouragement of using mismatching drivers gets beaten to death around here. so hate to do it again.

But the EVM 15B is a wonderful speaker, and since your already willing to build and carry enclosures large enough to support a 18"

I would highly highly suggest not wasting time with the 18" and building a pair of matching single 15 enclosures with a matching pair of EVM15B.

hunting down another EVM is worth your time.

And instead of recycling the many suggestions of building TL606
    for that driver. I would simple use the same specs and build enclosures with 3.2 to 3.5 cubic feet of volume and tune to 40hz just like a tl606 in step down mode. which is what EV recommends with that driver for bass guitar use. Which they discuss in the EV spec sheet

Simple use 1/2 ply and proper bracing to get a lighter enclosure.
    and increase the depth to a much deeper 18 or 19" instead of the actual 17" of the TL606 which really only offers about 14" of depth because of the front baffle setback and port.

6. +1 to all of this.

7. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    This is why I come here for advice. Thank you.

I do not know which Eminence 18 this is, but now I know there are mutiple versions which behave differently. This is good information. Thank you.

I also appreciate, very much, the information about th 606 enclosures and the geometry of those, and I think I agree that two EVM15's, each in their own enclosures (which could then be transported without using cranes and tractor-trailer rigs), is a better setup than one 15 and one 18.

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I have a 4x10 hartke and a JBL E155, 18", and neither take a tractor trailer or crane to lift, and both cabs are 3/4" Mahogany Luan plywood. Non matching speakers work fine if you choose wisely. Eminence makes great drivers, and the older ones ar usually as good if not better than todays models. There is a reason they were the stock driver in many great amps that are so revered today.

9. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    To old fart, I'm 57 but I have evolved. I have all kinds of cabs from 10' to a discontinued 18' Avatar that I'll always keep. I play bass too but I likee those cracklin highs, and punches, low mids etc. I say if you want to run a 15 and an 18 go for it. It's your rig, your bass, your tone. I don't know of any TBer giving away anything but their opinion. :)

10. I used to run back in the late 70s/early 80s a ported 2-15 with EVM-15Bs and about 300 watts into them, was a very nice sounding rig and plenty of volume and great tone. So +1 to the "get another EV" posts.

11. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    To be clear: I too am enjoying tones way outside the ones from the olden days. Bass used to sound like mud surrounded by a cloud layer. But I just think these EVM's are the totally musical. I tested, side by side, an early 400W Mesa 215 Road Ready against a more modern Ampeg 610. The Ampeg had a high frequency horn. Even with the horn turned all the way on, the Ampeg sounded like mud compared to the Mesa. I bought that Mesa. But now.....I just don't want to lug it up and down my stairs. So.....I am considering making a pair of vented enclosures. And I agree with those here who suggest simply using two EVM's. To my ear, they deliver plenty of brightness.

12. Au Contraire Mon Frere. greenboy gives away the fEARful design including the cross over design for free. :bassist:

13. validated experience also counts for much, why else ask people with more experience than yourself? Money isn't everything, otherwise we wouldn't be musicians.........;)

14. Yup, And I just gave some kid in Michigan a set of GHS pressure wounds. Ceaman gives away pedals around Christmas, and Pacman gave a dude a Jazz Bass. I'm sure there are more, but
    /end Derail