1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

18 inch bass guitar speakers...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ville Maunu, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
    I am planning to build bass cabinet with 18 inch bass guitar speaker. Which manufactures are still producing 18" speakers(I dont mean whole cabs) and any tips from where I can order those? I found something with Google but not much....also What is difference between bass guitar speaker and bass subwoofer? Can those subwoofers be used?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    zon6c-f likes this.
  2. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Peavey Lo-Rider 18

THUNDERGODX, bassbrad, jdc866 and 4 others like this.
  3. Go to USSPEAKER.com or PartsExpress.com where they have several good candidates. You'll find that most of them will require a midrange driver, or a mid-tweeter with a large horn, and a crossover., unless you are interested in a classic, old school tone. You'll want to model the 18's for bass response, tuning and cab size (Eminence has done a few models on each driver). If you want to take advantage of their deep bass extension, be prepared for a relatively large box: 4-6 cf (or more).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Plantbrain likes this.
  4. Why would you want to use an 18” driver?

5. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
    I have Hiwatt cb103 amp...and planning to build 1x18 Marshall look like cabinet. I am playing in blues/R&B/rock a little bit power trio type kind of band. Would like to have speaker with a lot of raw power. Can you suggest me a speaker for this kind of use? :)

6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    18 inch drivers typically require very big enclosures to work properly. If you simulate what you want to do in Win ISD (free loudspeaker design program), you may find that what works and what you want to build are two very separate things. If you build what works well, you might not be able to fit it in your car - seriously.

7. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
    Don't ask so difficult questions..no any scientific answers..just a feeling and "have to look nice".. and one of my favorite Finnish bassist played with hiwatt and marshall in seventies. .(quite hooey and keeping fun issue) :)

LBS-bass, sing-modulator and Winoman like this.
  8. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
    I am just trying to find 18" speaker which works quite ok...I am amateur and cabinet does not need to be scientifically good..it enough if it looks like marshall and have 18" inside..

IntelligentWail likes this.
  9. You seem to be working too hard at this. Just ‘cos you're not a pro doesn’t mean that you should limit yourself to oldish thinking. If you are going to the trouble of building something why not build something great? Have a look at the plans for the fEARful range of cabinets. These are pretty much state of the art and will serve you well into your future. Kits are available, in various driver configurations, that literally just have to be glued together. If I was ever to replace my current cabinets it’s the route I would follow.

10. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I have an 18" EVB that I am willing to part with. It sounds awesome in the Theil type cab. Great lows AND highs.

Roxbororob, Rock Salad and HaphAsSard like this.
  11. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    OP doesn't care if it sounds good, he only wants it to look good.
    A life size picture of the cab would probably suffice. And be a lot more portable.

rollie 55, nbsipics, J_Bass and 15 others like this.
  12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I get that you want it to look a certain way. That should be do-able.
    I'm pretty sure you don't want a cab that sounds lousy. Which is why "just build a box and stick a speaker in it" is a bad idea.
    You're interested enough to want a good speaker. Build a good cab for it.

The important thing for a cabinet is overall volume (internal volume, not loudness-volume) so if you want a certain height and width you can vary to depth to get the "right" volume.

The other thing is that in a Marshall themed cab you could do 2 15's and probably have a better overall product.

13. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
    My question was, from where I can find 18" speakers and from which manufacturers.. I think nice answer would be .."these manufacturers are still building those and you can order them from..."...:)

14. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
    Seems that its better to forget this..only bass doctors(and smartasses) here...

15. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    One of the resources available on the Parts Express website is a woofer selection guide. I will show you the important information for every woofer they carry (Frequency response, power handling, sensitivity, recommended enclosure size, and the T/S parameters you would need to design an enclosure for that woofer). It is a great tool and a very concise way of sorting through lots of potentially confusing information. This is found under the resources option near the bottom of the page. Good luck! Just because something isn't popular doesn't mean it's impossible.

16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  17. Ville Maunu

Ville Maunu

Aug 6, 2018
  18. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quite right. You can't just stick a driver in a box and have a working speaker. It takes years to learn how to make a speaker worth having. It's both a science and an art. What you want to do is as realistic as spending a few days learning how to play bass and then getting hired by The Who. If you must have an eighteen find a used one. If you think anyone who knows anything at all about gear is going to be impressed by a cab that looks like a Marshall think again. Of the major amp brands Marshall is one of the least respected for bass. An Ampeg SVT is the real deal.

MattZilla, rollie 55, hintz and 5 others like this.
  19. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I played with a project that had a 118 cab for me to use - loved it!

Because of that experience, I added a 115 to my 210 combo and it produces a great sound. At least for my ears.

The Nameless and Winoman like this.
  20. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Seriously? You've gotten helpful replies here, you're the one being dismissive.

Why should we care about this when you apparently haven't even put the effort in to Google 'speaker manufacturers'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.