Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

18 inch subwoofer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by product 14, Jan 6, 2004.

1. I just got a new beringer B1800x sub. for my bass. Anyone used 18's like that. Comments on that particular sub or anything you know about subs would be really appreaciated.

Specs

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I dig my Yamaha sw 1x18 PA sub a lot. Kicks out some serious low end. It's big, but I guess it needs to be. I don't use it all the time, but when I do, it does what I need it to do.

3. any idea if you could blow out the sub because its not ment for bass guitar

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    um, its made for bass frequencies... so, it'd ROCK for bass!

5. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, you'd think an 18" speaker cab was made for bass frequencies......but looking at the behringer website, that cab is -6db @ 42Hz.

That's not even very good down to low E.

I dunno......give it a try; maybe it'll sound better than it looks on paper. But if you're not happy with it, don't dismiss all 18's as useless - there's a lot of good ones, although they ain't generally very cheap. If you want to keep the price down, try the Yamaha mentioned earlier. Street price about $350 as I recall. It's not the best, but for the price it's very good.

6. I like 18" Magnums and Beymas in properly tuned cabs.

Muy thump.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that this fellow was looking to build his own cab.

Myself...I've got an 18" Kilomax in an 8 ft cabinet....Muy thick.

But it really seems that this cab size is just on the far side of convenient. Of course, I'm talking in the context of bass cabs.....

I've got a couple of old Cerwin-Vega front-loaded 18" cabs that are 6 cubic feet. Slot port, easy to adjust the cab tuning with some plywood. Planning on trying out some Adire Audio Maelstroms in 'em. Looks real good on paper, and while the size difference doesn't seem that much, they are quite a bit easier to live with.

I've heard lotsa good things about the Maelstrom, but only from the home theater fanatics, nothing (yet) from live sound - it seems this driver is just starting to see some use in PA applications. Adire has do-it-yourself plans on their website for an 18"+10" coaxial PA cab called a Hurricane. They've got measured frequency response curves that look very interesting.....

8. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got a 1-18 Sonic with a 18 EV.
    It's more of a full range cab.

9. I know, but my (limited) experience with commercial 18" sub cabs shows them to be not what he is searching for.

I played the Yamaha 18" sub cab and found it had nowhere near the bottom one would think it has, especially considering the huge cabinet. The Yamaha is loud, but doesn't have a very low F3.

10. My thinking is that the sub-bass frequencies are best left for the bass drum, unless you're doing reggae or some specialized music.

11. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    My full rig consists of an Epifani 210 and a JBL MP418S (single 18" in slot ported box). Short of an SPL Servodrive sub, there is no better way to get good LOUD bottom end than a good 18. But as noted previously, just because a speaker is 18" in diameter does not mean it goes really low.

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Bass drum sits in the 50-60Hz area.

13. And bass goes down to ~40,~31,~21 and beyond....Bassdrums are just drums tryin to kick the booty
    :D

Peace
    DWB

14. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I just came back from playing 4 days straight at a conference in a main room for about 200 people.

We were using a mackie 1801 - 18" active sub. For stage sound i was using the power stage of my swr workingman's 15.

the Sub was great to say the least. It filled out the entire room very easily with everything from my bass, to the drum's (kick and all) etc etc, with a fixed crossover at 120hz (i dont know why its so high in pa subs, as opposed to HT subs which are 80hz and lower)

in any case, i would higly recommend the mackie 1801, great sub, but way more expensive than the other subs in this thread, but you get what you pay for.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    this thread has proved very helpful to me....i am considering adding an SWR Big Ben to my Eden Metro.....thanks for the input folks.

-Mike

16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I use EVX-180A's and EVX-155's for subs.

The EVX-180A's are probably among the better 18" bass woofers, they're heat-wicked and they have an awesome excursion (something like 4" from rest).

They're a thousand watts each, and they're THE most reliable bass speakers I've ever used.

They're almost impossible to kill.

And they sound good too!

I only use them for outdoor gigs, and they definitely get the bass frequencies "out there" into the audience. Indoors, they'd be massive overkill. For indoors I use BagEnd S-15's and S-12's, the number varies according to the size of the room.

17. I haven't played the Behringer sub, but I use an AccuGroove Whappo Grande beneath my El Whappo and it is nothing short of awesome!!

I keep an SWR Big Ben (with its BagEnd driver) for gigs in scary places and it gets the job done, even as a stand-alone unit.

just my 2 cents,

from the low end of things,

Stew

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I also have a Big Ben with a Bag End driver.
    It kills on the low end, and has a pretty decent high-end too. It's one of the only 18s that I'd consider as a stand-alone.

19. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Jeez Stew........

Behringer versus AccuGroove is like...
    Hyundai versus Ferrari.......

But I get your point - you haven't lived until you've played through a rig with a really good subwoofer.

20. hey Bruce,

actually I wasn't trying to slam Behringer. I use a couple of their pieces and have no complaints with 'em. I dig their Ultrabass combos, too.

I simply don't have experience with their subs. my sound improved dramatically since I started incorporating a sub, though. it's added a dimension of power that's hard to articulate.

as long as it's blended well with the primary driver, you can do the most wonderfully lethal things sonically!

:D

from the lower lows,

Stew