18 or 410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Mar 5, 2006.

1. 18 (500wrms)

2. 410(800wrms)

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I am going to be getting a matching cabinet for my 210 soon,and I can't decide on the 18 or the 410 !:meh: I Know they both have there advantages but which one?
    I am gonna leave it up to you fine people to decide!
  2. Are you talking about a 410 or a 210?

The poll says 410 and your post says a 210. :confused:
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How bout you try both? And what brands are you looking at, and what models?
  4. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I think db sensitivity and ohmage are important. the db should be closer to 103db rather than 98db. 4 ohm cabs is usually louder with most rigs.

I did a TON of cab research this past week and have settled on Epifani 310. pricey cab but amazing weight and tone that would compliment ANY rig. Check them out..
  5. I would opt for the 18, I have used them before and think they sound so rich and full. Plus it gives you more choices for what you want to bring to gigs. Most people would say to get the 410 though.
  6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    fixed it.:D
  7. I voted for the 18 because that's a set up I was considering for a while. (210 on top of a 18) A friend of mine has a Hartke cab with a 15 and 2 8s on top of a 18. I thought the 18 was going to be too much but it sounds amazing. That 18 will punch you in the face, with bass.

It just depends on what you want. A 410 with your 210 would be a totally different sound.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You do NOT want an 18. Go to the Eden site and compare specs between the D-118XL and the D-410XST. The 410 has a lower frequency response (36 hz vs. 42 hz) and higher sensitivity (104dB vs. 100dB). (It's louder.) Eighteens typically have a very sluggish response and add buku muff to your tone.

Mfff mfff mfff mfff mfff ...
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

What he said ^
  10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY

11. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I like muff as much as the next guy,:D however I am considering the 410 at this point.You said it was a completely different sound? I also know they tend to "fart out" more:eyebrow:
  12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What 410 and 118 are you looking at?
  13. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    madison. I have the 210 so far and I absolutely love it!
    one I decide,I will be selling my kappa pro 115 to help cover the cost.
  14. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia

No man, not these days. Well designed 410's won't fart out at all. infact, a well designed cab of any driver size won't fart out.
  15. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    all depends on the head and the power handling of the cab. depends on what you mean by "well designed"
  16. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    For example, lets look at PV's old cabs. Their 15" cabs were far too shallow for a 15". My BW farts out a fair bit at performing volume. But my Labsystems is fine. Ok, the power handling is much better with the Labsystems, but it's dimensions are totally different to my PV. The cab is probably tuned to suit its driver better than the PV. That's what i mean by well designed.
  17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    If you have the $$$ get both and ditch the 210.

This will sound strange at first, but matching the 210 with the 410 will be a problem because they're both 8 ohms. Why should that be a problem? Because with a mono amp, you won't get the same power to all the drivers. Half your power will go to 2 drivers and the other half will go to 4 drivers. If the 210 was 16 ohms it would match perfectly with an 8 ohm 410 because all 6 drivers would get the same power. So in this case you'd be better off using the 210 OR 410, not both at once.

You could start with one or the other depending which is more important to you. Nothing wrong with a 210 on top of an 18. But even though the 18 is less efficient, you may still find yourself wanting more 10's. OTOH if you get the 410 first and run it by itself, you may find the Madison 410 puts out enough bottom to satisfy you (much more than the 210) and you won't need the 18.

Good luck.
  18. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    what about just a good 15? much easier to find and try, maybe a little easier on the wallet and back.
  19. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    I love the idea of an 18 cab. A good friend of mine plays through an SWR Big Ben and I was surprised at just how punchy and quick this cabinet was.
  20. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    Everyone answering must know you pretty well! I didn't see one person asking you what kind of music you play or to describe the tone you're looking for. Without knowing, then how can anyone recommend the right choice for you? Here are some general thoughts anyway...

If you're looking for a middle-of-the-road sound, either choice should work for you. If you favor slap or punchy tones, the 410 will probably do better. If you want old-school rumble, the 18 might be a hair better.

The 410 will be more versatile as you can use it alone for a mid-volume gig when the 210 isn't enough and you don't feel like carrying everything. An 18 alone would work for a smaller subset of styles.

Assuming all good quality gear, I would think that you could EQ a 410 to sound kind of like an 18. I don't think you can EQ an 18 to do what a 410 can.

I think you'll have to push more volume at the 18 for it to blossom. I think a 410 will sound better at lower volumes and still sound good loud.