Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

18 over 4-10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Has anyone tried their 18 on top of the 4-10? I want to try this Saturday, but if it does not work, I'll have to leave it that way for the whole gig.

Do you think it will take some boomy ness out?

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    It might take some of the boominess out, but on the other hand you may also loose some of your mids and highs compared to what you're used to. I'd say keep the 18 at the bottom and work with your EQ instead to try and isolate the troubling frequencies.

3. Anders is right. Use your EQ to tailor the sound.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I am sing a 1971 SVT which I am confined to a mono signal. Therefore I daisy chain the 2 8 ohm cabs, an Eden D-410XLT and a D-118XL.
    If I used my Eden head, then I could regulate balance,volume, and EQ. I could even cross them over. So I am trying to use placement to get the desired effect. We played an outdoor gig Saturday and I used the 18 on bottom. It was great. In fact, I had to boost bass to about 2:30, but indoors it gets reflections, or muddy, or less controllable. I'm not worried about losing lows. But I want a big bottom without it being messy.